Weekly Road Closures Oct. 8-14
CORPUS CHRISTI, TEXAS – Upcoming work scheduled for next week includes additional closures to McArdle Road and Buford Street.
New – Old Robstown Road - IDIQ
Beginning on Monday, October 10, 2016 and for one week, weather permitting; contractors will reduce Old Robstown Road to one lane of traffic between Agnes Street and Leopard Street.
New – Buford Street - Between Staples Street and Alameda Street
Beginning Monday, October 10, 2016 and for one week, weather permitting; contractors will close Buford Street between Staples Street and Alameda Street. Buford Street traffic will be detoured onto northbound Staples Street, onto westbound Park Avenue, onto southbound Alameda Street to Buford Street.
New – Various City Streets
Starting Monday, October 10 through October 31, weather permitting; contractors will be working at the following locations:
- Agnes Street from Old Robstown Road to Port Avenue.
- On Port Avenue from Agnes Street to Lipan Street
- On Lipan Street from Port Avenue to Palm Drive
As the work is ongoing, the travel lane will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Beginning August 15, City contractors will be working on McArdle Road in front of the Paul R. Haas Middle School; and while this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction between Clarion Drive and Woodlawn Drive.
- Motorists should be aware of the various lane shifts in this section of McArdle road.
- NEW - The eastbound or McArdle Road traffic between Nile Drive and Aswan Drive will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the work site.
- NEW - McArdle Road, from the Islamic Society of Southern Texas entrance to Ennis Joslin Road will be closed to traffic. Motorists needing access to this section of McArdle Road can take Nile Drive to McArdle Road.
Holly Road and Greenwood Drive
Starting Wednesday, September 26 through Friday October 14, weather permitting; City contractors will be working on the eastbound lanes between Greenwood Drive and Victor Lara Ortegon Street. While this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Northbound Greenwood Drive: The right turning lane will be closed to traffic.
- Westbound Holly Road: The left turning lane will be closed to traffic.
- Eastbound Holly Road: The right through lane will be designated as a Right Lane Must Turn Only.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Starting May 30, 2016 and until completion, Staples Street between Comanche Street and Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street will be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. When necessary, flaggers will available to guide motorists through the work site.
Various City Streets (IDIQ)
Starting Monday, September 19, through October 14, weather permitting; contractors will be doing utility work on the following streets:
- Baldwin Boulevard: From Ayers Street to Staples Street.
- Tarlton Street: From Ayers Street to Prescott Street
- Texan Trail: From Alameda Street to Santa Fe Street
- Gingerberry Drive: From Yorktown Boulevard to Chamomile Court
- Patti Drive: From Dunbarton Oak Drive to the Dead End
- Simpson Drive: From Saratoga Boulevard to Dead End
- Wooldridge Road: From Las Brisas Street to North Oso Parkway
As these project are ongoing, these sections will be reduced to one lane of traffic. When necessary, flaggers will be onsite to assist motorists through the work area.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, August 29, and until the completion of the work, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will switch onto the southbound lanes to allow contractors to work on the northbound lanes. As a result, the traffic will be narrowed to one lane of traffic in each direction between Buford Street and Ayers Street.
- There will be left turn restrictions during this period - Northbound traffic will not be permitted to turn left at Morgan Avenue, and Buford Street (except for emergency vehicles).
- Left turns will be allowed at Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street for northbound traffic. There will be a left turn provided for southbound traffic at Buford Street to access the Emerald Beach Hotel. There will be a left turn provided for northbound and southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street to access Christus Spohn Hospital and Marina Del Sol Condominiums. The left turns for northbound traffic at Elizabeth Street will be monitored by the City and may be restricted in the future depending on construction at Christus Spohn Hospital.
- Pedestrians are asked to use the sidewalks on the west side of the street and bicyclists are encouraged to avoid the area.
Park Road 22
Beginning on Thursday, July 14 through Friday, October, 14, City contractors will be working on Park Road 22 at the Aquarius Street intersection. As the project is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic Signal installation: Southbound Park Road 22 traffic will be narrowed while a new signal is being installed.
- Removal of Existing Median: Park Road 22 left turn lanes at the Aquarius St. intersection will be closed to traffic. Left turns will not be allowed at the intersection.
Ocean Drive and Robert Drive
Starting on Thursday, August 11, 2016 and for the next two months; weather permitting, City contractors will periodically reduce southbound Ocean Drive traffic to one lane through the Robert intersection. At the same time, the bike lane will be closed through the work site.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 6, 2016 and until the completion of the work the following Traffic Control Plan will be implemented:
- Williams Drive will be periodically reduced to one lane of traffic from Airline Road to Staples Street beginning Friday, August 18, 2016
- City contractors will be doing road work at the Airline Road and Williams Drive intersection. No left turns are permitted within the work zone of Airline Drive.
- Southbound Airline Road traffic will be shifted onto the northbound lanes and traffic will be reduced to one in each direction. No left turns will be allowed at the intersection
- Eastbound Williams Drive is closed to thru traffic between Candlewood Drive and Airline Road. Eastbound Williams Drive traffic will be detoured onto southbound Rodd Field Road, unto Treyway Lane to Williams Drive. No Left turn permitted at the Williams Drive/Airline road intersection.
- Westbound Williams Drive traffic will detour southbound on Airline Road, to eastbound Holly Road, onto northbound Rodd Field Road, to Williams Drive.
- Northbound Airline Road traffic will detour to the eastbound onto South Padre Island Drive access road, onto southbound Candlewood Drive to Williams Drive.
Navigation Boulevard (CIP)
Beginning on August 15, 2016, southbound Navigation traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street, will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. This doesn’t include the TXDOT right-of-way between the IH-37 access roads.
International Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 25, and for the next six months, City contractors will have various lane closures on International Drive as part of the International Drive Road Improvement bond project. Motorists are asked to be mindful of the various lane closures when driving on International Drive to the airport. Work is scheduled on International Drive between Agnes Street and the Glasson Drive intersection.
Schatzel Street is closed to traffic between Chaparral Street and Mesquite Street. Westbound Schatzel traffic will detour onto Chaparral Street, then onto Taylor Street, to Mesquite Street to Schatzel Street.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzel Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at 826-3547.