Weekly Road Closures Oct. 29- Nov. 4
Beginning Monday, October 23, and for the next two weeks, weather permitting; city contractors will be doing road work on Seaview Lane between Mavis Drive and Rainbow Lane. During this period, Seaview Lane will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work area.
Agnes Street - Port Avenue - Lipan Street
Beginning Monday, October 10 through Wednesday, November 2 weather permitting; AEP crews will be working at the following locations:
- Agnes Street from Old Robstown Road to Port Avenue.
- On Port Avenue from Agnes Street to Lipan Street
- On Lipan Street from Port Avenue to Palm Drive
As this work is ongoing, the travel lanes will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site.
Old Robstown Road (IDIQ)
Beginning Tuesday, October 18, and for the next six weeks, weather permitting; City contractors will be working on Old Brownsville Road between Leopard Street and Agnes Street. During this period, Old Brownsville Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site. Flaggers will be available to assist motorist through the work area.
McCaughan Park is closed during the first phase of construction. The Seawall in the area will continue to be open to the public during construction. When construction at McCaughan Park is completed, contractors will move to the north end of the project and begin working on Sherrill Park. Left turns will not be allowed from Southbound Shoreline Boulevard to Park Street.
Park Road 22
Through Friday, November 11, City contractors will be working on Park Road 22. During this period the following traffic control plans will be implemented:
- Traffic Signal installation: Southbound Park Road 22 will be narrowed to widen the shoulder lane while a new signal is being installed.
- Removal of the existing intersection median: Park Road 22 left turning lanes at the Aquarius intersection will be closed to traffic. No left turns will be permitted at this intersection.
- There will be various lane closures on Park road 22 through the Aquarius Street intersection.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Beginning August 15, City contractors will be working on McArdle Road in front of the Paul R. Haas Middle School; and while this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- The eastbound or McArdle Road traffic between Nile Drive and Aswan Drive will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the work site.
- McArdle Road, from the Islamic Society of Southern Texas entrance to Ennis Joslin Road will be closed to traffic. Motorists needing access to this section of McArdle Road can take Nile Drive to McArdle Road.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Starting May 30, 2016 and until completion, Staples Street between Comanche Street and Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street will be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. When necessary, flaggers will available to guide motorists through the work site.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, August 29, and until the completion of the work, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will switch onto the southbound lanes to allow contractors to work on the northbound lanes. As a result, the traffic will be narrowed to one lane of traffic in each direction between Buford Street and Ayers Street.
- There will be left turn restrictions during this period - Northbound traffic will not be permitted to turn left at Morgan Avenue, and Buford Street (except for emergency vehicles).
- Left turns will be allowed at Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street for northbound traffic. There will be a left turn provided for southbound traffic at Buford Street to access the Emerald Beach Hotel. There will be a left turn provided for northbound and southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street to access Christus Spohn Hospital and Marina Del Sol Condominiums. The left turns for northbound traffic at Elizabeth Street will be monitored by the City and may be restricted in the future depending on construction at Christus Spohn Hospital.
- Pedestrians are asked to use the sidewalks on the west side of the street and bicyclists are encouraged to avoid the area.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 6, 2016 and until the completion of the work the following Traffic Control Plan will be implemented:
- Williams Drive will be periodically reduced to one lane of traffic from Airline Road to Staples Street beginning Friday, August 18, 2016
- City contractors will be doing road work at the Airline Road and Williams Drive intersection. No left turns are permitted within the work zone of Airline Drive.
- Southbound Airline Road traffic will be shifted onto the northbound lanes and traffic will be reduced to one in each direction. No left turns will be allowed at the intersection
- Eastbound Williams Drive is closed to thru traffic between Candlewood Drive and Airline Road. Eastbound Williams Drive traffic will be detoured onto southbound Rodd Field Road, unto Treyway Lane to Williams Drive. No Left turn permitted at the Williams Drive/Airline road intersection.
- Westbound Williams Drive traffic will detour southbound on Airline Road, to eastbound Holly Road, onto northbound Rodd Field Road, to Williams Drive.
- Northbound Airline Road traffic will detour to the eastbound onto South Padre Island Drive access road, onto southbound Candlewood Drive to Williams Drive.
Navigation Boulevard (CIP)
Beginning on August 15, 2016, southbound Navigation traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street, will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. This doesn’t include the TXDOT right-of-way between the IH-37 access roads.
International Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 25, and for the next six months, City contractors will have various lane closures on International Drive as part of the International Drive Road Improvement bond project. Motorists are asked to be mindful of the various lane closures when driving on International Drive to the airport. Work is scheduled on International Drive between Agnes Street and the Glasson Drive intersection.
Schatzell Street is closed to traffic between Chaparral Street and Mesquite Street. Westbound Schatzell traffic will detour onto Chaparral Street, then onto Taylor Street, to Mesquite Street to Schatzell Street.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzel Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at 826-3547.