Weekly Road Closures March 25 - 31
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX -
New – American Bank Center and Fiesta de la Flor area
The City of Corpus Christi Traffic Engineering office advises residents there will be traffic changes related to the Fiesta de la Flor event scheduled for Friday, March 24, and Saturday, March 25, 2017. Both days, there will significant parking restrictions including:
- NO street parking will be allowed around the event site. Violators will be towed.
- American Bank Center parking will be reserved for events occurring at this venue.
- Fiesta goers are strongly encouraged to use the Park and Ride service that will be operating to serve the event. Parking will be available at Corpus Christi City Hall, 1201 Leopard Street, and at the Nueces County Courthouse, 901 Leopard Street, with RTA buses leaving from these locations. Bus service will begin at 6 pm on Friday and at noon on Saturday. Buses will operate throughout the festival.
There will be other lane closures, street closures and on-street parking restrictions at the American Bank Center area to accommodate the event.
New – South Port Avenue (SPMP)
City contractors will be doing road patch work at the 800 block of South Port Avenue beginning Monday, March 27 through Friday, March 31, 2017, weather permitting. As this work is ongoing, contractors will reduce either the southbound lanes of South Port Avenue to one lane of traffic.
New - Leopard Street
The Leopard Street improvement project between Staples Street and North Upper Broadway has been extended until March 31, 2017, weather permitting. As this work is ongoing, contractors will reduce either the eastbound or westbound lanes to one lane of traffic.
New - Staples Street (Bond 2012)
On Sunday, March 26, 2017, and for one day only, City contractors will be working at the intersection of Staples Street and Morgan Avenue. As this work is ongoing, the following temporary traffic control plan will be implemented:
Staples Street: Northbound Staples Street traffic will be shifted onto the southbound lanes prior to approaching the traffic signal at Morgan Avenue.
Morgan Avenue: Eastbound Morgan Avenue traffic will be shifted onto the westbound lanes between South Alameda Street and Third Street.
Beginning Wednesday, February 1, 2017, and until completion of this phase of the project, Staples Street between Comanche Street and Morgan Avenue will be switched onto the southbound lanes and traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street may be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be available when necessary to guide motorists through the work site.
New - Kostoryz Road (Bond 2012) and Brawner Parkway
Through April 7, 2017, contractors will be doing utility work on Orlando Drive near the Kostoryz Road intersection. Orlando Drive will be closed to through traffic between Casa De Oro Drive and Kostoryz Road, and residents will be detoured onto Casa De Oro Drive, onto Casa Bonita Drive, onto Texan Trail, onto Staples Street, and then to Kostoryz Road. While at the same time, Corta Drive will be closed to through traffic. Residents will exit Corta Street onto Casa Grande Drive, to Norton Street to Kostoryz Road.
In addition, beginning Monday, March 9, 2017, and for one month, contractors will close the east side of the intersection of Brawner Parkway (North) and Kostoryz Road. As this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Brawner Parkway (North) will be closed to through traffic between Benton Street and Kostoryz Road. Residents can access Kostoryz Road by detouring onto Benton Street, then onto Olsen Drive to Kostoryz Road.
- At the same time, Kostoryz Road northbound traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site.
New - Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning on January 24, 2017 and for the following four months, weather permitting, Williams Drive traffic between Staples Street and Treyway Lane will be shifted onto the westbound lanes and traffic reduced to one lane in each direction. The Williams Drive traffic pattern between Treyway Lane and Airline Road is opened to eastbound and westbound directions of travel. The contractor will continue proposed utility and paving work between Treyway Lane and Staples Street on the southside of Williams Drive (eastbound lanes) through intersecting streets. At times, additional traffic control measures will be implemented that may disrupt the flow of traffic during the course of constructing proposed improvements. The following intersections below will encounter periodic disruptions of traffic flow to include daytime closures and detouring as depicted below:
- Treyway Lane: Treyway Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Drive. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, to Melisa Lane and to Williams Drive.
- Melisa Lane: Melisa Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Drive. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, to Treyway Lane and to Williams Drive.
- Leslie Lane: Leslie Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Road. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, to Melisa Lane and to Williams Drive.
- Williams Drive will continue to have one lane of traffic in each direction through the work area.
- Only one street will be closed at any one time.
New – Southern Mineral Road
City contactors will change the traffic pattern on Southern Minerals Road beginning March 23, 2017. During this period, northbound Southern Minerals Road traffic between IH-37 and Up River Road, will be reduced to one lane of northbound traffic. Detour will be through Valero Way to IH-37.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Contractors will be working on McArdle Road between Whitaker Drive and Ennis Joslin Road. While this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- McArdle Road between South Staples Street and Stratton Drive is open to traffic with two lanes in each direction.
- McArdle Road traffic between Whitaker Drive and Nile Drive is shifted onto the westbound lanes with one lane in each direction.
- McArdle Road traffic between Nile Drive to Rodd Field Road is open with one lane in each direction.
- Meadowlane Drive and Limestone Drive are closed at the Williams Drive intersection. Detour is south onto Southhaven Drive, then onto Nile Drive and then to Williams Drive.
Tuloso Road (Bond 2012)
During this phase of the construction, northbound Tuloso Road is closed to traffic between IH-37 and Leopard Street. Northbound Tuloso Road traffic will be detoured onto Suntide Road to IH-37.
Greenwood Drive (Bond 2012)
Greenwood Drive traffic, between Gollihar Road and Horne Road, is shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets into the residential neighborhoods will remain open to traffic.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, January 9, 2017, and until the completion of this phase of the work, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will switch onto the southbound lanes between south of Louisiana Avenue at Leming Avenue and Elizabeth Street to allow contractors to work on the northbound lanes. As a result, traffic will be narrowed to one lane in each direction between Buford Street and Ayers Street.
- There will be left turn restrictions during this period - northbound traffic will not be permitted to turn left at Del Mar Boulevard, Ayers Street, and Elizabeth Street. Left turns at Morgan Avenue will be permitted for the hospital.
- Pedestrians are asked to use the sidewalks on the west side of the street and bicyclists are encouraged to avoid the area. Pedestrian crosswalks will be in place at Buford Street and Del Mar Boulevard but not at Ayers Street, Elizabeth Street or Morgan Street. The roadside sidewalk on the water side from north of Ayers Street to south of Louisiana Avenue will be closed to allow for drainage and roadway work. The lower sidewalks in Cole Park will be open, but should be accessed using the west side sidewalks and the Del Mar Boulevard crosswalk.
- Once the change is made, traffic engineering and the contractor will be monitoring the situation and will be making signal timing adjustments.
Motorists driving northbound on Ocean Drive are reminded there are no left turns permitted at Ayers Street, Elizabeth Street, and Del Mar Boulevard.
Navigation Boulevard (Capital Improvements Program)
Beginning December 21, 2016 and until completion of this phase of the project, Navigation Boulevard traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. The existing traffic control devices placed by TXDOT at IH-37 access road intersections will remain in place.
Alameda Street (Bond 2014)
Until the completion of the project, City contractors will be doing construction work on Alameda Street between Lipan Street and Kinney Street. As this project is ongoing, Alameda Street will be closed to traffic between Kinney Street and Lipan Street. All side streets intersecting Alameda Street will remain open to traffic.
McCaughan Park is closed during the first phase of construction. The seawall in the area will continue to be open to the public during construction. When construction at McCaughan Park is completed, contractors will move to the north end of the project and begin working on Sherrill Park. Left turns will not be allowed from southbound Shoreline Boulevard to Park Street.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzel Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, contact Traffic Engineering at (361) 826-3547.