Weekly Road Closures June 3-9
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – Downtown streets will have various closures throughout June, and the Kostoryz Road and McArdle Road bond projects have upcoming traffic changes.
New – Various City Streets (SPMP)
From June 5 through June 7, City contractors will be core sampling and field testing various city streets. During this period, traffic will be reduced to one lane through the work site.
New – Kostoryz Road (Bond 2012)
From May 31 through June 6, City contractors will be sampling and field testing Kostoryz Road between Brawner Parkway and Norton Street. During this period, traffic will be reduced to one lane and flaggers will assist motorists through the work site.
Contractors will be doing utility work on Orlando Drive near the Kostoryz Road intersection. Orlando Drive will be closed to through traffic between Casa De Oro Drive and Kostoryz Road. Motorists will detour onto Casa De Oro Drive, to Casa Bonita Drive, then to Texan Trail, to Staples Street, and then to Kostoryz Road. At the same time, Corta Drive will be closed to through traffic. Residents will exit Corta Street onto Casa Grande Drive, to Norton Street and back to Kostoryz Road.
In addition, beginning Monday, March 9, and for one month, contractors will close the east side of the intersection of Brawner Parkway and Kostoryz Road. As this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Brawner Parkway will be closed to through traffic between Benton Street and Kostoryz Road. Motorists can access Kostoryz Road by detouring onto Benton Street, then onto Olsen Drive to Kostoryz Road.
- Northbound Kostoryz Road traffic will be reduced to one lane.
New – McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
On Thursday, June 1 through Friday, June 9, weather permitting; contractors will be doing road work on McArdle Road between Whitaker Drive and Nile Drive. As the work is ongoing, McArdle Road will be narrowed and reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction. Left turns will not be allowed from each side street to McArdle Road.
New – William, Schatzell and Starr Streets
Beginning Monday, June 5 through Thursday, June 23, weather permitting, a City contractor will be doing paving operations on William Street, Schatzell Street and Starr Street. Work along these streets is scheduled as follows:
- June 5 to June 13: William Street, between Water Street and Mesquite Street
- June 14 to June 19, 2017: Schatzell Street, between Water Street and Mesquite Street
- June 19 to June 22: Starr Street, between Water Street and Mesquite Street
Work may require portions of these streets to be closed during the scheduled time frames. There will be parking restriction enforcement during each construction zone time frame.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Staples Street between Comanche Street and Agnes Street is open to traffic with two lanes in each direction. Agnes Street to Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street may be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be available when necessary to guide motorists through the work site.
Elizabeth Street (Contractor)
Beginning Friday, May 26 to Friday, June 23, eastbound traffic on Elizabeth Street between Third Street and Shoreline Boulevard will be reduced to one lane for utility work.
Gollihar Road (Bond 2014)
Gollihar Road between Kostoryz Road and Weber Road will be closed during the first phase of the project. Traffic will detour to South Staples Street and McArdle Road.
Eastbound and westbound Gollihar Road from Marie Street to Staples Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Left turns will not be allowed from Northbound Staples Street to Gollihar Road.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Traffic changes on Ocean Drive from Louisiana Avenue to Morgan Avenue are as follows:
- Traffic will be narrowed to the northbound lanes with one lane in each direction beginning at Louisiana Avenue to Morgan Avenue. Southbound Ocean Drive traffic will be transitioned onto the new pavement at the Morgan Avenue intersection.
- The Ayers Street intersection at Ocean Drive will be closed for about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Northbound traffic will not be allowed to turn left at Del Mar Boulevard, Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street. A dedicated left turn at Morgan Avenue and Buford Street for northbound traffic will remain open.
- Left turns will be allowed for southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street.
- Northbound and southbound Ocean Drive traffic should use Morgan Avenue since the Ayers Street intersection at Ocean Drive will be temporarily closed.
- Southern, Naples, and Cole streets will be restricted to resident traffic only with no through traffic to Ocean Drive. Del Mar Boulevard and Atlantic Street will have intermittent access to Ocean Drive.
- Eastbound traffic on Louisiana will be required to go south on Ocean Drive. If a vehicle wishes to go north on Ocean Drive, then the driver will need to go south and make a U-turn to go back to the north.
- The posted speed limit is 25 MPH through the construction area.
- Pedestrian access will be closed along the southbound lanes between Louisiana Avenue and Morgan Avenue including the sidewalks adjacent to Spohn Hospital. Pedestrian access through the construction zone will be transferred to the newly completed sidewalks along the northbound lanes. Temporary pedestrian access crossing Ocean Drive will remain at the Del Mar Boulevard intersection. Bicyclists are encouraged to find another route.
Lawrence Street between Mesquite Street and Chaparral Street is partially open to traffic and is currently reduced to one lane with the traffic merger beginning between Upper Broadway and Mesquite Street.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning January 24 through May, weather permitting, Williams Drive traffic between Staples Street and Treyway Lane will be shifted onto the westbound lanes and traffic reduced to one lane in each direction. The Williams Drive traffic pattern between Treyway Lane and Airline Road is opened to eastbound and westbound directions of travel. The contractor will continue proposed utility and paving work between Treyway Lane and Staples Street on the south side of Williams Drive (eastbound lanes) through intersecting streets. At times, additional traffic control measures will be implemented that may disrupt the flow of traffic during construction. The following intersections below will encounter periodic disruptions of traffic flow to include daytime closures and detouring as depicted below.
- Treyway Lane: Treyway Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Drive. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Melisa Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Melisa Lane: Melisa Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Drive. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Treyway Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Leslie Lane: Leslie Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Road. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Melisa Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Williams Drive will continue to have one lane of traffic in each direction through the work area.
- Only one street will be closed at any one time.
Southern Minerals Road
City contractors will change the traffic pattern on Southern Mineral Road beginning on March 23. During this period, northbound Southern Mineral Road traffic between IH-37 and Up River Road will be reduced to one lane of northbound traffic. The detour will be through Valero Way to IH-37.
Tuloso Road (Bond 2012)
During this phase of the construction, northbound Tuloso Road is closed to traffic between IH-37 and Leopard Street. Northbound Tuloso Road traffic will be detoured onto Suntide Road to IH-37.
Greenwood Drive (Bond 2012)
Greenwood Drive traffic, between Gollihar Road and Horne Road, is shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets into the residential neighborhoods will remain open to traffic.
Navigation Boulevard (Capital Improvements Program)
Beginning December 21, until completion of this phase of the project, Navigation Boulevard traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. The existing traffic control devices placed by TXDOT at IH-37 access road intersections will remain in place.
For more information, contact Traffic Engineering at (361) 826-3547.
For information related to all current and upcoming lane closures associated with the Harbor Bridge project, please visit http://www.harborbridgeproject.com/.