Weekly Road Closures June 10-16
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – Lots of Bond projects are underway, which means more City streets are getting fixed. Please pay attention to construction signs while traveling around the City.
New – Mesquite Street (Contractor)
On Monday, June 12 to Wednesday, June 14, weather permitting, contractors will be doing utility work in the 600 block of Mesquite Street. As this project is ongoing, Mesquite Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work area.
New – Churchill Street (IDIQ)
Starting Monday, June 19 to Friday, June 23, weather permitting, contractors will be doing utility work on Churchill Street between Whiting Drive and Timrod Street. During this period, Churchill Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic and flaggers will be on site to assist motorists through the work area.
New – Alameda Street (Bond 2012)
Beginning Friday, June, 9 construction will begin on Alameda Street between Staples Street and Louisiana Avenue. As this project is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
Staples Street: Southbound Staples Street traffic will be reduced to one lane approaching the Six Points intersection.
Alameda Street: Traffic on Alameda Street between Six Points and Louisiana Avenue will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets off Alameda Street will remain open to traffic. Northbound traffic approaching the Louisiana Avenue intersection will be reduced to one lane.
New – Leopard Street (AEP)
On Monday, June 12, weather permitting AEP will be working on Leopard Street between Upper Broadway and Carancahua Street. AEP work crews will shift the westbound Leopard Street lanes onto the eastbound lanes with one lane in each direction.
New – Holly Road (AEP)
Beginning Monday, June 12 through Saturday, June 24, eastbound Holly Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic through various work zones between Etheridge Drive and South Flynn Parkway. AEP contractors will be working at night between 10:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m.
New – Kostoryz Road (Bond 2012)
Eastbound Kostoryz Road traffic is shifted onto the westbound lane with one lane in each direction. Contractors are doing utility work on North Brawner Parkway on the west side of Kostoryz Road. During this period, North Brawner Parkway is closed to traffic and motorists will detour to Ramsey Street, onto South Brawner Parkway to Kostoryz Road. At the same time, Orlando Drive on the west side of Kostoryz Road is closed to traffic and motorists detour onto Bentwood Drive to Norton Street to Kostoryz Road.
New – McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Beginning Wednesday, June 7 McArdle Road traffic, between Whitaker Drive and Nile Drive, will be shifted onto the eastbound lanes with one lane in each direction. NO LEFT TURNS will be permitted onto Crescent Drive from McArdle Road.
New – William, Schatzell and Starr Streets
Beginning Monday, June 5 through Thursday, June 23, weather permitting, a City contractor will be doing paving operations on William Street, Schatzell Street and Starr Street. Work along these streets is scheduled as follows:
- June 5 to June 13: William Street, between Water Street and Mesquite Street
- June 14 to June 19, 2017: Schatzell Street, between Water Street and Mesquite Street
- June 19 to June 22: Starr Street, between Water Street and Mesquite Street
Work may require portions of these streets to be closed during the scheduled time frames. There will be parking restriction enforcement during each construction zone time frame.
New - Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Beginning Tuesday, June 13 through Thursday, June 15, weather permitting, City contractors will be doing utility work in a manhole at the intersection of Staples Street and Morgan Avenue. Work is scheduled at night from 7:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. As this work is ongoing, northbound Staples Street will be closed from Elizabeth Street to Morgan Avenue, and Morgan Avenue will be closed from Alameda Street to Staples Street. Northbound Staples Street traffic will detour east onto Elizabeth Street, north onto Seventh Street, west onto Morgan Avenue and back to Staples Street. Eastbound Morgan Avenue will detour south onto Alameda Street, east onto Elizabeth Street and back to Staples Street.
Staples Street between Comanche Street and Agnes Street is open to traffic with two lanes in each direction. Agnes Street to Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street may be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be available when necessary to guide motorists through the work site.
Elizabeth Street (Contractor)
Beginning Friday, May 26 to Friday, June 23, eastbound traffic on Elizabeth Street between Third Street and Shoreline Boulevard will be reduced to one lane for utility work.
Gollihar Road (Bond 2014)
Gollihar Road between Kostoryz Road and Weber Road will be closed during the first phase of the project. Traffic will detour to South Staples Street and McArdle Road.
Eastbound and westbound Gollihar Road from Marie Street to Staples Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Left turns will not be allowed from Northbound Staples Street to Gollihar Road.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Traffic changes on Ocean Drive from Louisiana Avenue to Morgan Avenue are as follows:
- Traffic will be narrowed to the northbound lanes with one lane in each direction beginning at Louisiana Avenue to Morgan Avenue. Southbound Ocean Drive traffic will be transitioned onto the new pavement at the Morgan Avenue intersection.
- The Ayers Street intersection at Ocean Drive will be closed for about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Northbound traffic will not be allowed to turn left at Del Mar Boulevard, Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street. A dedicated left turn at Morgan Avenue and Buford Street for northbound traffic will remain open.
- Left turns will be allowed for southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street.
- Northbound and southbound Ocean Drive traffic should use Morgan Avenue since the Ayers Street intersection at Ocean Drive will be temporarily closed.
- Southern, Naples, and Cole streets will be restricted to resident traffic only with no through traffic to Ocean Drive. Del Mar Boulevard and Atlantic Street will have intermittent access to Ocean Drive.
- Eastbound traffic on Louisiana will be required to go south on Ocean Drive. If a vehicle wishes to go north on Ocean Drive, then the driver will need to go south and make a U-turn to go back to the north.
- The posted speed limit is 25 MPH through the construction area.
- Pedestrian access will be closed along the southbound lanes between Louisiana Avenue and Morgan Avenue including the sidewalks adjacent to Spohn Hospital. Pedestrian access through the construction zone will be transferred to the newly completed sidewalks along the northbound lanes. Temporary pedestrian access crossing Ocean Drive will remain at the Del Mar Boulevard intersection. Bicyclists are encouraged to find another route.
Lawrence Street between Mesquite Street and Chaparral Street is partially open to traffic and is currently reduced to one lane with the traffic merger beginning between Upper Broadway and Mesquite Street.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning January 24 through May, weather permitting, Williams Drive traffic between Staples Street and Treyway Lane will be shifted onto the westbound lanes and traffic reduced to one lane in each direction. The Williams Drive traffic pattern between Treyway Lane and Airline Road is opened to eastbound and westbound directions of travel. The contractor will continue proposed utility and paving work between Treyway Lane and Staples Street on the south side of Williams Drive (eastbound lanes) through intersecting streets. At times, additional traffic control measures will be implemented that may disrupt the flow of traffic during construction. The following intersections below will encounter periodic disruptions of traffic flow to include daytime closures and detouring as depicted below.
- Treyway Lane: Treyway Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Drive. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Melisa Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Melisa Lane: Melisa Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Drive. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Treyway Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Leslie Lane: Leslie Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Road. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Melisa Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Williams Drive will continue to have one lane of traffic in each direction through the work area.
- Only one street will be closed at any one time. \
Southern Minerals Road
City contractors will change the traffic pattern on Southern Mineral Road beginning on March 23. During this period, northbound Southern Mineral Road traffic between IH-37 and Up River Road will be reduced to one lane of northbound traffic. The detour will be through Valero Way to IH-37.
Tuloso Road (Bond 2012)
During this phase of the construction, northbound Tuloso Road is closed to traffic between IH-37 and Leopard Street. Northbound Tuloso Road traffic will be detoured onto Suntide Road to IH-37.
Greenwood Drive (Bond 2012)
Greenwood Drive traffic, between Gollihar Road and Horne Road, is shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets into the residential neighborhoods will remain open to traffic.
Navigation Boulevard (Capital Improvements Program)
Beginning December 21, until completion of this phase of the project, Navigation Boulevard traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. The existing traffic control devices placed by TXDOT at IH-37 access road intersections will remain in place.
For more information, contact Traffic Engineering at (361) 826-3547.
For information related to all current and upcoming lane closures associated with the Harbor Bridge project, please visit http://www.harborbridgeproject.com/.