Weekly Road Closures December 3-9
CORPUS CHRISTI, TEXAS – Some new work coming to the Six Points area throughout December.
New - Staples Street (IDIQ)
Starting Tuesday, December 6, and for the next three weeks, weather permitting; City contractors will be doing road work on Staples Street between Staples Six Points and 16th Street. During this period, there will be various traffic lane closures, and either westbound or eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane through the work area. Flaggers will be on site at the intersections to assist motorists when necessary.
New – Carancahua Street (IDIQ)
Contractors will be doing construction work on Carancahua Street from November 28 through December 23, weather permitting. During this period, Carancahua Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic between Furman Avenue and IH-37.
New – Up River Road (IDIQ)
Starting Monday, December 5 through Wednesday December 7, weather permitting; contractors will be working at the intersection of Up River Road and Dona Drive. During this period, Up River Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site. Flaggers will be on site to guide motorists through the work area.
New – Leopard Street
On December 10, contractors will be setting up a large crane to work on the roof of the 600 Leopard Street Building between Carancahua Street and Upper Broadway. Leopard Street will be closed between Carancahua Street and Upper Broadway. Eastbound Leopard Street traffic will detour onto Carancahua, to Antelope Street, onto Upper Broadway then to Leopard Street. Westbound traffic will detour onto Upper Broadway, onto Williams Street, to Carancahua Street and then to Leopard Street.
Alameda Street (Bond 2014)
Beginning on Monday, November 21, 2016 and until the completion of the project, City contractors will be doing construction work on Alameda Street between Lipan Street and Kinney Street. As this project is ongoing, Alameda Street will be closed to traffic between Kinney Street and Lipan Street. All side streets intersecting Alameda Street will remain open to traffic.
Staples Street (IDIQ)
Beginning on Tuesday, November 28, 2016 through Monday, Friday, December 9, 2016, weather permitting; City contractors will be working near the intersections of Comanche Street and SH 286 (Crosstown Expressway). As the project is ongoing, Comanche Street traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic on either side of SH 286. Flaggers will be onsite to guide motorist through the work areas.
Park Road 22 at Aquarius Street
The traffic signal installation project has been extended through Friday, December 9. There will be various lane closures on Park Road 22 through the Aquarius Street intersection.
Through December 9, weather permitting; City contractors will be working on sidewalk pedestrian ramps in compliance with the American Disability Act. During this period, the westbound Leopard Street traffic will be reduced to one lane from Staples Street to Brownlee Boulevard.
Flour Bluff Drive
Beginning Monday, November 7 and for the next three weeks, weather permitting; AEP contractors will be working on Flour Bluff Drive between South Padre Island Drive and Yorktown Boulevard. During this period, Flour Bluff traffic will be periodically reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be on site to guide motorists through the work area.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Beginning May 30, 2016 and until completion of the project, Staples Street between Comanche Street and Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples will be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be available to guide motorists through the work site.
McCaughan Park is closed during the first phase of construction. The Seawall in the area will continue to be open to the public during construction. When construction at McCaughan Park is completed, contractors will move to the north end of the project and begin working on Sherrill Park. Left turns will not be allowed from Southbound Shoreline Boulevard to Park Street.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Beginning August 15, City contractors will be working on McArdle Road in front of the Paul R. Haas Middle School; and while this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- The eastbound or McArdle Road traffic between Nile Drive and Aswan Drive will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the work site.
- McArdle Road, from the Islamic Society of Southern Texas entrance to Ennis Joslin Road will be closed to traffic. Motorists needing access to this section of McArdle Road can take Nile Drive to McArdle Road.
Navigation Boulevard (CIP)
Beginning on August 15, 2016, southbound Navigation traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street, will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. This doesn’t include the TXDOT right-of-way between the IH-37 access roads.
International Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 25, and for the next six months, City contractors will have various lane closures on International Drive as part of the International Drive Road Improvement bond project. Motorists are asked to be mindful of the various lane closures when driving on International Drive to the airport. Work is scheduled on International Drive between Agnes Street and the Glasson Drive intersection.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, August 29, and until the completion of the work, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will switch onto the southbound lanes to allow contractors to work on the northbound lanes. As a result, the traffic will be narrowed to one lane of traffic in each direction between Buford Street and Ayers Street.
- There will be left turn restrictions during this period - Northbound traffic will not be permitted to turn left at Morgan Avenue, and Buford Street (except for emergency vehicles).
- Left turns will be allowed at Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street for northbound traffic. There will be a left turn provided for southbound traffic at Buford Street to access the Emerald Beach Hotel. There will be a left turn provided for northbound and southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street to access Christus Spohn Hospital and Marina Del Sol Condominiums. The left turns for northbound traffic at Elizabeth Street will be monitored by the City and may be restricted in the future depending on construction at Christus Spohn Hospital.
- Pedestrians are asked to use the sidewalks on the west side of the street and bicyclists are encouraged to avoid the area.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 6, 2016 and until the completion of the work the following Traffic Control Plan will be implemented:
- Williams Drive will be periodically reduced to one lane of traffic from Airline Road to Staples Street beginning Friday, August 18, 2016
- City contractors will be doing road work at the Airline Road and Williams Drive intersection. No left turns are permitted within the work zone of Airline Drive.
- Southbound Airline Road traffic will be shifted onto the northbound lanes and traffic will be reduced to one in each direction. No left turns will be allowed at the intersection
- Eastbound Williams Drive is closed to thru traffic between Candlewood Drive and Airline Road. Eastbound Williams Drive traffic will be detoured onto southbound Rodd Field Road, unto Treyway Lane to Williams Drive. No Left turn permitted at the Williams Drive/Airline road intersection.
- Westbound Williams Drive traffic will detour southbound on Airline Road, to eastbound Holly Road, onto northbound Rodd Field Road, to Williams Drive.
- Northbound Airline Road traffic will detour to the eastbound onto South Padre Island Drive access road, onto southbound Candlewood Drive to Williams Drive.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzel Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at 826-3547.