Street Closures and Traffic Impacts
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – Street closures along the City’s major streets impacting motorists and pedestrians are listed below. These closures may be due to construction, special event activity, or maintenance. All closures are subject to change due to weather, emergency work, or other circumstances.
Work zone safety is a priority. Motorists are advised to slow down, follow posted speed limits, pay attention, watch out for workers, obey signs and flaggers and allow additional travel time for delays.
CITY STREET RECONSTRUCTION OR MAINTENANCE PROJECTS
Ayers Street Pedestrian Improvement and Turn Lane – South Padre Island Drive (SPID) to Gollihar Road (Bond 2014)
During this phase, the following traffic changes and lane closures are implemented:
- Northbound Ayers Street is closed at the Crosstown/SPID Interchange (frontage road) intersection. Thru traffic is encouraged to seek alternate routes to access businesses in the area.
- Ayers Street is also reduced to one lane, one-way traffic from Gollihar Road to SPID (southbound direction only).
- Johanna Street to Crosstown/SPID Interchange (Northbound) – The outside thru lane on Ayers Street is closed approaching the Crosstown/SPID interchange. This lane closure will continue through the underpass of SPID. This closure will not impact access to the eastbound frontage road of SPID.
- Johanna Street to Crosstown/SPID Interchange (Southbound) - The left-turn lane and median openings are closed.
- Crosstown/SPID Interchange & Ayers Street Intersection (Northbound) – Northbound Ayers Street is CLOSED at the Crosstown/SPID Interchange intersection. Motorists must use alternate detour routes such as the SH 286 northbound frontage road, Gollihar Road, Kostoryz Road, or McArdle Road to access local businesses.
- Crosstown/SPID Interchange to Gollihar Road – Ayers Street is reduced to one lane, one-way traffic flow in the southbound direction only. Access to all local businesses is provided.
- Ayers Street and Gollihar Road Intersection – The outside thru lane on Ayers Street, in the southbound direction only, is closed approaching the Gollihar Road intersection.
- SH 358 Frontage Road (Eastbound) – The shared thru left-turn lane is closed.
RTA bus stops are closed from Gollihar Road to SPID. Bus stops remain open at the Port Ayers Transfer Station.
Brawner Parkway– Kostoryz Road to Carroll Lane (Bond 2018)
During Phase 1A of construction, Brawner Parkway (south of median) in the eastbound lane. The westbound lane will remain open for use during this first phase of construction.
Delgado Street – Salazar Street to Dead End (Residential Street Rebuild Program)
Delgado Street, between Salazar Street and the Dead End, is closed for reconstruction. The contractor will provide local access only to residents along Delgado Street.
Denver Avenue – Doddridge Street to Jackson Place (Residential Street Rebuild Program)
Denver Avenue, between Doddridge Street and Jackson Place, is closed for reconstruction. The contractor will provide local access only to residents along Denver Avenue.
Laguna Shores Road – South Padre Island Drive to Graham Road (Bond 2018)
Laguna Shores Road, between South Padre Island Drive and Graham Road, is closed for reconstruction. Motorists are advised to use Waldron Road as an alternative route for thru traffic. Access is provided within the closed roadway segments to residences and businesses within the work zone.
Laguna Shores Road – Hustlin’ Hornet Drive to Caribbean Drive (Bond 2018)
Laguna Shores Road, between Hustlin’ Hornet Drive to Caribbean Drive, is closed for reconstruction. Motorists are advised to use Waldron Road as an alternative route for thru traffic. Access is provided within the closed roadway segments to residences and businesses within the work zone. The following short-term closures are in place so the Contractor can perform utility work:
- There is a short-term closure of Laguna Shores Road south of Beasley Road to perform utility work and stormwater installations.
Laguna Shores Road – Mediterranean Drive to Wyndale Street (Bond 2018)
Laguna Shores Road, between Mediterranean Drive to Wyndale Street, is closed for reconstruction. Motorists are advised to use Waldron Road as an alternative route for thru traffic. Access is provided within the closed roadway segments to residences and businesses within the work zone.
Leopard Street – Palm Drive to Nueces Bay Boulevard (Bond 2018)
Travel lanes are reduced to one lane, in each direction, along the westbound lanes (north side) of Leopard Street between Nueces Bay Boulevard and Battlin’ Buc Boulevard. The southern part of the Leopard Street and Nueces Bay Boulevard intersection remains closed. Nueces Bay Boulevard is also closed to thru traffic between Leopard Street and Up River Road.
Ocean Drive Rehabilitation Project – Airline Road to Louisiana Avenue
Ocean Drive is reduced to one lane, in each direction, on the east side of Ocean Drive (northbound lanes) between Airline Road and Louisiana Avenue. Access to properties within the work zone will be maintained at all times.
Park Road 22 Bridge and Channel – Whitecap Boulevard to Commodores Drive (SH 361)
Phase 1 of the Park Road 22 Bridge and Channel project is underway on the east side (northbound lanes) of Park Road 22. Motorists traveling northbound along Park Road 22 are shifted to the southbound lanes (west side) between Cruiser Street and Compass Street. Travel lanes are reduced to one lane, in each direction, along the southbound lanes (west side) between Cruiser Street and Compass Street.
Staples Street – Baldwin Boulevard to Kostoryz Road (Bond 2018)
During Phase 1 of construction on Staples Street, between Baldwin Boulevard and Kostoryz Road, drivers and pedestrians should expect the following traffic changes:
- The northbound lanes and center-turn lane (east side) of Staples Street, between Baldwin Boulevard and Kostoryz Road, will be closed for construction. Traffic will be shifted to the west side of Staples Street (southbound lanes) and reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Traffic along northbound Staples Street will be shifted to the west side (southbound lanes) of the roadway approaching the Kostoryz Road intersection.
- The inside left-turn lane will be closed along Kostoryz Road at the Staples Street intersection.
- The intersection of Louisiana Avenue and Kosar Street with Staples Street, on the east side, is closed to install storm water utilities.
- Sidewalks will be closed on the east side of Staples Street, within the construction zone.
Swantner Drive – Indiana Avenue to Texan Trail (Bond 2018)
Swantner Drive is closed to thru traffic between Indiana Avenue and Ralston Avenue and also between Texan Trail and Glazebrook Street for reconstruction. Chamberlain Drive is also closed between Reid Drive and Swantner Drive. Access to local residents is provided.
CITY PERMITTED CLOSURES
Antelope Street – Tancahua Street to Carancahua Street (Armadillo Glass INC and TNT Crane)
Beginning Saturday, January 8, 2022, contractors for the American Bank Plaza will be closing Antelope Street to perform a crane lift to load materials onto the building roof. Scheduled closures are expected to last one day.
Brownlee Boulevard – Mary Street to Hancock Avenue, Wastewater IDIQ (IPR South Central LLC)
Contractors for the City have temporarily closed Brownlee Street to perform repairs to a sanitary sewer manhole and lateral lines. Additional temporary street closures along Morris Street between 14th Street and 11th Street are required to facilitate a temporary bypass sanitary sewer. Temporary street closures are expected to last several weeks.
Buffalo Street – Buddy Lawrence Drive to IH 37 Frontage Road
A private contractor will implement daily flagger operation traffic control to install a new water and sewer service lines.
Beginning Monday, January 3, 2022, contractors for the city will be implementing one lane, flagger traffic control between Bates Road and Bear Lane. The temporary lane closures are required to perform exploratory utility excavations for a future city project. Flagger operations are expected to last two weeks.
Flour Bluff Drive – Purdue Road to Division Road (IPR South Central LLC)
Beginning Tuesday, January 4, 2022, contractors for the city will be implementing daily temporary street closure Flour Bluff Drive to perform maintenance repairs to a wastewater main line. Local traffic will be allowed access into closure during construction hours. Through traffic will be detoured around the work area. The temporary street closure will be removed at the end of each workday and is expected to last a couple of weeks.
Leopard Street – Tuloso Road to Clarkwood Road (STX Process Equipment LLC)
Contractors for a petroleum pipeline are implementing daily closures on the westbound lanes of Leopard Street between Tuloso Road and Clarkwood road. Lane closures are needed to provide a safe work area for the contractors performing maintenance to the pipeline. Temporary closures are expected to last 30 days.
Morris Street – 12th Street to 10th Street
Beginning Tuesday, January 04, 2022, contractors for the City’s Utility Department will implement temporary full street closure on Morris Street between 12th Street and 10th Street to perform wastewater line utility repairs. The intersection at 11th Street and 10th Street will be temporarily closed. The temporary street closures will allow for a safe work area to excavate the street and perform necessary repairs. Street closures are expected to last 30 days.
Schatzell Street – North Chaparral Street to Water Street (Spectrum)
A Spectrum Contractor is performing utility installations along Schatzell Street, between North Chaparral Street and Water Street. Utility installations will also be performed along Water Street near the Schatzell Street intersection. This work will require sidewalk repair and closures within the work zones.
An AT&T contractor is performing a small cell installation along Staples Street, near the intersection of S. Padre Island Drive (SPID), that will require a lane closure on the southbound travel lanes. An additional lane closure on SPID frontage road, for Eastbound direction, is also required for this installation.
Yorktown Boulevard – Rodd Field Road to Bichon Drive City Project (Grace Paving)
Contractors for the Del Mar Campus have closed the Bay Drive crossover to construct a left-turn bay along eastbound Yorktown Boulevard. Lane closures along this stretch of Yorktown Boulevard is expected to last four months.
- Corpus Christi Street Information – www.cctexas.com/streetinfo
- DriveTexasTM – www.drivetexas.org
- Harbor Bridge Project – www.harborbridgeproject.com/traffic-updates/road-lane-closures/