“Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront” Wellness Program Offers Activities for All Ages
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX –The health and wellness initiative called “Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront” is offering fitness activities for all ages and skill levels. The community is invited to take advantage of the FITNESS LANE, join Wellness Sessions and play in the Kids Zone. The Kids Zone includes an obstacle course, noodle hockey and scoop ball. This weekend will feature healthy food options with Phat Keto Company providing samples. H-E-B is a community partner providing fruit and water for all participants.
The FITNESS LANE is open for people to “get moving” in a safe, vehicle-free environment. No registration is required. Walk, jog, run, or bike in a designated 1.25-mile fitness lane from Cole Park to Lawrence Street! The FITNESS LANE is available every Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., until August 29, 2020. The fitness lane will help to reduce the overcrowding of the sidewalks and enable social distancing of at least six feet while exercising.
An expanded fitness lane has been created along Ocean Drive to Shoreline Boulevard that will temporarily close north bound traffic from 6 a.m. – 12 p.m. for residents to bike, run, jog and walk along the bayfront from Cole Park to Art Center of Corpus Christi.
In coordination with Victor Betancourt of VFit Productions and the City’s Park and Recreation Department, the City will offer “Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront” exercise and wellness events for ages 8 and older, of all abilities, on Saturdays from 7 a.m. – 11 a.m. until August 29, 2020, at The Water’s Edge, 602 S. Shoreline Blvd. Check-In, Fitness Moves session and the Children’s Activity area will be held at McCaughan Park. Zumba and Yoga will be held at the Islanders Pavilion next to the playground. Participants also eligible to receive give-away rewards. The Kids Zone, for ages 8-12, begins at 9 a.m.
The 40-60-minute sessions will include:
- Walk to Run (7 a.m.-7:40 a.m.)*: teaching individuals the skills needed to increase their endurance through proper running and walking techniques.
- Fitness Moves (8 a.m.- 8:40 a.m.)*: fitness training through a variety of techniques including body weight training, conditioning and circuit training.
- Walk the Bayfront (9 a.m. – 10 a.m.)*: instructor led 2-mile walk along the fitness lane.
- Yoga (9:00 a.m. – 9:40 a.m.)*: guiding individuals through a series of poses to improve physical and mental strength.
- Zumba (10 a.m. – 10:40 a.m.)*: an aerobic fitness program featuring movements inspired by various styles of Latin American dance.
- Kids Zone (9 a.m.-11:00 a.m.): obstacle course, noodle hockey, scoop ball. Activities will vary each Saturday. No registration required.
* Healthy Meals 101 (offered after each class): free weekly recipes and plans for families on healthy eating.
Class sessions are limited to 30 participants per class. The public can register for classes through the online registration link www.cctexas.com/safefunfit
Measures will also be taken for appropriate physical distancing for the safety of participant. In addition, participants are encouraged to bring their own face coverings, yoga mat and water, as appropriate, for their workout.
“While we recognize there is an increase of COVID-19 cases, the community is strongly encouraged to use all preventative measures and that includes exercising. Exercise may help protect against COVID -19 complications. Our goal is to have a healthy community that will reap the benefits of a healthy lifestyle while taking advantage of our natural environment for outdoor exercising,” said Peter Zanoni, City Manager.
Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request and in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. For assistance or to request a reasonable accommodation, please call 361-826-3460, in advance.
For more information, media representatives can contact Lisa Oliver, Community Relations & Engagement Superintendent, at 361-826-3132 or by email at email@example.com.