Street Closures and Traffic Impacts
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – Street closures along the City’s major streets impacting motorists and pedestrians are listed below. These closures may be due to construction, special event activity, or maintenance. All closures are subject to change due to weather, emergency work, or other circumstances.
Work zone safety is a priority. Motorists are advised to slow down, follow posted speed limits, pay attention, watch out for workers, obey signs and flaggers and allow additional travel time for delays.
CITY STREET RECONSTRUCTION OR MAINTENANCE PROJECTS
Ayers Street Pedestrian Improvement and Turn Lane – South Padre Island Drive (SPID) to Gollihar Road (Bond 2014)
During this phase, the following traffic changes and lane closures are implemented:
- Northbound Ayers Street is closed at the Crosstown/SPID Interchange (frontage road) intersection. Thru traffic is encouraged to seek alternate routes to access businesses in the area.
- Ayers Street is also reduced to one lane, one-way traffic from Gollihar Road to SPID (southbound direction only).
- Johanna Street to Crosstown/SPID Interchange (Northbound) – The outside thru lane on Ayers Street is closely approaching the Crosstown/SPID interchange. This lane closure will continue through the underpass of SPID. This closure will not impact access to the eastbound frontage road of SPID.
- Johanna Street to Crosstown/SPID Interchange (Southbound) - The left-turn lane and median openings are closed.
- Crosstown/SPID Interchange & Ayers Street Intersection (Northbound) – Northbound Ayers Street is CLOSED at the Crosstown/SPID Interchange intersection. Motorists must use alternate detour routes such as the SH 286 northbound frontage road, Gollihar Road, Kostoryz Road, or McArdle Road to access local businesses.
- Crosstown/SPID Interchange to Gollihar Road – Ayers Street is reduced to one lane, one-way traffic flow in the southbound direction only. Access to all local businesses is provided.
- Ayers Street and Gollihar Road Intersection – The outside thru lane on Ayers Street, in the southbound direction only, is closely approaching the Gollihar Road intersection.
- SH 358 Frontage Road (Eastbound) – The shared thru left-turn lane is closed.
RTA bus stops are closed from Gollihar Road to SPID. Bus stops remain open at the Port Ayers Transfer Station.
Ayers Street – Brownlee Boulevard to Edwards Street (City Street Preventative Maintenance Program)
City contractors are performing roadway mill and overlay operations on Ayers Street from Brownlee Boulevard to Edwards Street. These improvements are part of the City’s Street Preventative Maintenance Program. Construction will take place from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and will begin on the southbound lanes of the roadway. Upon completion of the southbound lanes, the contractor will move into the northbound lanes. Daily lane closures will be in effect, but detours will not be required for this work. The project is anticipated to be completed by mid-November, weather permitting.
Brawner Parkway– Kostoryz Road to Carroll Lane (Bond 2018)
During Phase 1A of construction, Brawner Parkway (south of median) in the eastbound lane. The westbound lane will remain open for use during this first phase of construction.
Delgado Street – Salazar Street to Dead End (Residential Street Rebuild Program)
Delgado Street, between Salazar Street and the Dead End, is closed for reconstruction. The contractor will provide local access only to residents along Delgado Street.
Denver Avenue – Doddridge Street to Jackson Place (Residential Street Rebuild Program)
Denver Avenue, between Doddridge Street and Jackson Place, is closed for reconstruction. The contractor will provide local access only to residents along Denver Avenue.
Holly Road – Crosstown Expressway (SH 286) to Greenwood Drive (Bond 2012)
Two-way traffic has been restored on Holly Road. Daily Lane closures will be required as construction nears completion.
Laguna Shores Road – South Padre Island Drive to Graham Road (Bond 2018)
Laguna Shores Road, between South Padre Island Drive and Graham Road, is closed for reconstruction. Motorists are advised to use Waldron Road as an alternative route for thru traffic. Access is provided within the closed roadway segments to residences and businesses within the work zone.
Laguna Shores Road – Hustlin’ Hornet Drive to Caribbean Drive (Bond 2018)
Laguna Shores Road, between Hustlin’ Hornet Drive to Caribbean Drive, is closed for reconstruction. Motorists are advised to use Waldron Road as an alternative route for thru traffic. Access is provided within the closed roadway segments to residences and businesses within the work zone. The following short-term closures are in place so the contractor can perform utility work:
- There is a short-term closure of Laguna Shores Road south of Beasley Road to perform utility work and stormwater installations.
Laguna Shores Road – Mediterranean Drive to Wyndale Street (Bond 2018)
Laguna Shores Road, between Mediterranean Drive to Wyndale Street, is closed for reconstruction. Motorists are advised to use Waldron Road as an alternative route for thru traffic. Access is provided within the closed roadway segments to residences and businesses within the work zone.
Leopard Street – Palm Drive to Nueces Bay Boulevard (Bond 2018)
Travel lanes are reduced to one lane, in each direction, along the westbound lanes (north side) of Leopard Street between Nueces Bay Boulevard and Battlin’ Buc Boulevard. The southern part of the Leopard Street and Nueces Bay Boulevard intersection remains closed. Nueces Bay Boulevard is also closed to thru traffic between Leopard Street and Up River Road.
Ocean Drive Rehabilitation Project – Airline Road to Louisiana Avenue
Ocean Drive is reduced to one lane, in each direction, on the east side of Ocean Drive (northbound lanes) between Airline Road and Louisiana Avenue. Access to properties within the work zone will be maintained at all times.
Ohio Avenue – Staples Street Project, Bay Ltd.
Ohio Avenue is closed to thru traffic between Staples Street and Swantner Drive for sanitary sewer utility construction. Access to properties within the work zone will be maintained at all times.
Park Road 22 Bridge and Channel – Whitecap Boulevard to Commodores Drive (SH 361)
Phase 1 of the Park Road 22 Bridge and Channel project is underway on the east side (northbound lanes) of Park Road 22. Motorists traveling northbound along Park Road 22 are shifted to the southbound lanes (west side) between Cruiser Street and Compass Street. Travel lanes are reduced to one lane, in each direction, along the southbound lanes (west side) between Cruiser Street and Compass Street.
Six Points Intersection - Street and Signal Improvements (Bond 2018)
During Phase 6 and 6A of the project, drivers and pedestrians should expect to see the following lane closures and traffic changes:
- Full closure of the southbound thru lanes along South Staples Street between South Alameda Street and the Six Points intersection. Motorists continuing southbound onto South Alameda Street will be shifted left onto the northbound lane of South Staples Street and continue this movement thru the intersection. Traffic will be shifted back to their normal lanes after the Palmero Street intersection.
- Full closure of the left lane along Ayers Street, in the westbound direction, between 7th Street and the Six Points intersection.
- Full closure of the southbound lanes along South Alameda Street, between the Six Points intersection and Palmero Street.
- Reduction to one lane along northbound South Alameda Street, between Palmero Street and the Six Points intersection.
- Full closure of the northbound lanes along South Staples Street, between 10th Street and the Six Points intersection. Motorists traveling northbound will be shifted left onto the southbound lane of South Staples Street.
- Full closure of Palmero Street, between South Alameda Street and South Staples Street.
- 10th Street, between Ayers Street and South Staples Street, has been reconstructed, and traffic flow has been changed to ONE-WAY in the southbound direction.
- Full closure of the right lane along Ayers Street, in the eastbound direction, between 10th street and the Six Points intersection.
- Sidewalks will be closed within the work zone.
Staples Street – Baldwin Boulevard to Kostoryz Road (Bond 2018)
During Phase 1 of construction on Staples Street, between Baldwin Boulevard and Kostoryz Road, drivers and pedestrians should expect the following traffic changes:
- The northbound lanes and center turn lane (east side) of Staples Street, between Baldwin Boulevard and Kostoryz Road, will be closed for construction. Traffic will be shifted to the west side of Staples Street (southbound lanes) and reduced to one lane in each direction.
- Traffic along northbound Staples Street will be shifted to the west side (southbound lanes) of the roadway approaching the Kostoryz Road intersection.
- The inside left-turn lane will be closed along Kostoryz Road at the Staples Street intersection.
- The intersection of Louisiana Avenue and Kosar Street with Staples Street, on the east side, is closed to install storm water utilities.
- Sidewalks will be closed on the east side of Staples Street, within the construction zone.
Swantner Drive – Indiana Avenue to Texan Trail (Bond 2018)
Swantner Drive is closed to thru traffic between Indiana Avenue and Ralston Avenue and also between Texan Trail and Glazebrook Street for reconstruction. Chamberlain Drive is also closed between Reid Drive and Swantner Drive. Access to local residents is provided.
CITY PERMITTED CLOSURES
Brownlee Boulevard – Elizabeth Street to Staples Street
Contractors for AEP Texas are implementing daily, right lane closures along southbound Brownlee Boulevard, between Elizabeth Street and Staples Street, to install new fiber-optic lines. Temporary lane closures are expected to last several weeks.
Brownlee Boulevard – Mary Street to Hancock Avenue, Wastewater IDIQ (IPR South Central LLC)
The contractor for the City has temporarily closed Brownlee Street to perform repairs to a sanitary sewer manhole and lateral lines. Additional temporary street closures along Morris Street between 14th Street and 11th Street are required to facilitate a temporary bypass sanitary sewer. Temporary street closures are expected to last several weeks.
Harbor Drive - Hamman Excavating
Harbor Drive, north of Hirsch Street, is temporarily closed for reconstruction. Two-way traffic will be maintained along a short segment of Harbor Drive between Hirsch Street and the museum parking lot.
Kostoryz Road – Saratoga Boulevard to Holly Road (AEP Texas)
Contractors for AEP Texas are implementing daily right lane closures along northbound Kostoryz Street, between Saratoga Boulevard and Holly Road, to install new power poles and electrical cables. When construction progresses to the Holly Road intersection, contractors will be implementing a daily, right lane closure along eastbound Holly Road and will continue through the intersection. This work is expected to last several weeks.
McArdle Road – Ennis Joslin Road to Nile Drive (AEP Texas)
Contractors for AEP Texas are implementing daily closures and traffic shifts into the center turn lane, along westbound McArdle Road between Ennis Joslin Road and Nile Drive. Lane closures are being implemented to install new power poles and electrical cables along the north side of McArdle Road. This work is expected to last several weeks.
Mexico Street/Mestina Street – Leopard Street to Lipan Street (Guerra Underground Construction)
Mexico Street between Leopard Street and Lipan Street is closed to replace a sanitary sewer line for the City of Corpus Christi as part of Harbor Bridge construction. Westbound Mestina Street is closed to thru traffic at Josephine Street. Local access is provided to residents. This street closure is expected to last several months.
Ocean Drive – Ennis Joslin Road to Resaca Street (AEP Texas)
Contractors for AEP are implementing daily mobile lane closures along northbound and southbound Ocean Drive. The mobile work zone is needed to convert existing streetlights to LED.
Schatzell Street – North Chaparral Street to Water Street (Spectrum)
Spectrum Contractors are performing utility installations along Schatzell Street, between North Chaparral Street and Water Street. Utility installations will also be performed along Water Street near the Schatzell Street intersection. This work will require sidewalk repair and closures within the work zones. Utility installations and sidewalk closures are expected to last two weeks.
Staples Street – Holly Road to South Padre Island Drive (AEP Texas)
Over the next several months, an AEP Texas contractor will be installing new underground electrical circuits along Staples Street from Burnham Drive to South Padre Island Drive. Work will be performed at night. Nightly lane closures will begin promptly at 8:30 p.m. and end at 5:30 a.m. During nightly closures and over the course of the project, motorists should expect the following traffic changes:
- Staples Street will be reduced to one lane in the northbound direction.
- Closures of the center-turn lane at active work zone areas.
- Left-turn restrictions on side streets within active work zone areas.
- Closures of the center and westbound travel lane along McArdle Road, between Lum Street and Salem Drive.
Motorists traveling through the area should use caution, follow posted speed limits, and pay attention to workers and work vehicles moving in and out of the work zone.
Starr Street – North Mesquite Street to North Chaparral Street (Spectrum)
A Spectrum Contractor is performing utility installations along Starr Street, between North Mesquite Street to North Chaparral Street. This work will require sidewalk repair and closures within the work zones. Parking stalls in the work zone will also be closed. Utility installations and sidewalk closures are expected to last one month.
Timbergate Drive– S Staples Street to Spanish Wood Drive (Tri-Star Utilities)
Tri-Star Utilities is performing an excavation to install a storm water utility. After the installation, they will perform asphalt repair of the excavated area. This work will require a traffic shift. Motorists traveling eastbound along Timbergate Drive will be shifted to the westbound lanes around the work zone. Lane closures along this stretch of Timbergate Drive are expected to last one week.
Yorktown Boulevard – Rodd Field Road to Bichon Drive City Project 19062A IDIQ (Grace Paving)
There is a right-lane closure, in the westbound direction, along Yorktown Boulevard between Rodd Field Road and Bay Drive. The work zone is needed to construct new driveways and turning bays for the new Del Mar Campus. Lane closures along this stretch of Yorktown Boulevard are expected to last several weeks.
- Corpus Christi Street Information – www.cctexas.com/streetinfo
- DriveTexasTM – www.drivetexas.org
- Harbor Bridge Project – www.harborbridgeproject.com/traffic-updates/road-lane-closures/