City and County Update Order Further Limiting Gatherings for the Protection of the Public
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – Earlier today, Judge Barbara Canales and Mayor Joe McComb assisted by City Manager Peter Zanoni signed and issued a new Order further limiting public and private gatherings to 50 persons. To curb the potential spread of COVID-19 and reduce the risk to the public, the expanded Order will prohibit all indoor and outdoor gatherings within an enclosed space of 50 persons or more in the City of Corpus Christi and in Nueces County beginning immediately and continuing until City Council renews the Order on Tuesday, March 24 with an end date of April 17.
The Order comes upon recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to limit mass gatherings. Exceptions to the declaration include:
- Public or private schools;
- Use of enclosed spaces where 50 or more people may be present at different times during the day as long the 50 or more people are not present at the space during the same time.
- Gatherings of people in multiple, separate enclosed spaces in a single building if 50 people are not present in any single space.
- Office space, hotels or residential buildings.
- Grocery stores, shopping malls, outdoor markets or retail establishments including restaurants and most bars where large numbers of people are present, but it is unusual for them to be within arm’s length of one another for extended periods of time.
- Hospitals, medical facilities and shelters.
- Jails and detention centers.
- Corpus Christi International Airport.
Organizations should cancel gatherings in excess of 50 persons. Persons in high-risk populations should avoid gatherings in excess of 10 persons. Organizations that serve primarily high-risk persons should cancel gatherings in excess of 10 persons. High-risk persons include:
- 60 years old and older.
- People with certain health conditions such as heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, kidney disease and weakened immune systems.
- People who are pregnant or were pregnant in the last two weeks
- People experiencing homelessness.