Visible Address Numbers Key to Emergency Response Times
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX –Minutes matter when responding to an emergency. The Corpus Christi Fire and Police Departments remind residents and business owners to properly display address identification. Homes and businesses without address numbers or obstructed address numbers may delay response from Police and Fire personnel. The request is part of an initiative called, “Let Your Numbers Show.”
“Timely response is crucial for emergency responders. Community members can help by making sure their residence and/or business is clearly marked with their address numbers,” said Corpus Christi Fire Chief Robert Rocha. “Both the Fire Code and City Ordinance (CH.13 Article II Div. 1 Sec. 304.3) require address identification for new and existing residences and businesses. Having clearly defined address numbers will help fire, police, and EMS personnel provide the best possible service,” Rocha said.
Take time now to be sure your house or business address numbers are visible from the street to help first responders find you faster. Consider the following:
- Address numbers shall be Arabic numerals or alphabetical letters.
- Numbers shall not be spelled out (Script numbers or numbers that are spelled out in words are often difficult to read quickly from the street.)
- Use numbers that contrast with the background.
- Each character shall be a minimum of 4 inches (102 mm) in height with a minimum width of 0.5 inch (12.7 mm).
- Clear obstructions such as shrubs, trees, or decorations. Numbers should be clearly seen when approaching from either side of the house or business.
For more information media representatives can contact Public Information Manager DeAnna McQueen at 361-826-2940 or by email at email@example.com.