New Year’s Firework Safety Tips
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – The Corpus Christi Fire and Police Departments want to remind citizens about safety and City ordinances before starting holiday celebrations.
It is illegal to discharge fireworks inside the City Limits, including the beach. Violators could be issued a fine up to $2,000 per opened package of fireworks.
To report the illegal discharge of fireworks please call 886-COPS (2677). Do not call 911 for fireworks complaints.
Firework Safety Facts:
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks.
- Older children should use fireworks only under close adult supervision.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Never light fireworks indoors.
- Always use fireworks away from people, structures, and inflammable material.
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting.
- Never ignite devices in a container.
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks.
- Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don’t go off or in case of a fire.
There are also no large-scale city sponsored fireworks displays for the City on Tuesday, December 31.
For media inquiries, contact Deputy Fire Marshal Mark Lewis at 361-826-3922 or by email at email@example.com.