Public Notification of the Detection of Saint Louis Encephalitis Virus in a Mosquito Pool
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX - The Corpus Christi Vector Control Program is notifying the public of the detection of Saint Louis Encephalitis (SLE) virus in a mosquito pool collected at the 1200 block of Main Drive. SLE is a viral disease spread to people by the bite of an infected mosquito. Most people infected with SLE virus have no apparent illness. Initial symptoms of those who become ill include fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, and tiredness. Severe neuro-invasive disease (often involving encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain) occurs more commonly in older adults.
This is the second mosquito pool trapped within Corpus Christi that has tested positive for SLE this year. The first positive mosquito pool was analyzed in mid-August and the trap was located within seven miles from this new location. There are currently no reported human cases in Nueces County. Residents from these areas are encouraged to closely follow all mosquito prevention tools such as:
- Wear mosquito repellent containing DEET
- Dress in long sleeves and pants
- Avoid being outside during times of day when mosquitoes are most active (Dawn and Dusk)
- Drain standing water, as it will reduce any mosquito breeding grounds
- Consult a doctor if you feel ill after being bitten
The City's Vector Control program is implementing a rigorous Mosquito Management Response Plan and will take the following preventative measures:
- Spray within a 1/2-mile radius around the area of the detection for three consecutive nights beginning tonight, Thursday evening, weather permitting.
- Police will direct Patrol Officers and Neighborhood Services personnel to locate any standing water in the affected neighborhood including examining abandoned properties.
- Vector Control will continue to monitor and conduct surveillance of mosquito traps in the immediate area for signs of the Culex species of mosquito.
Call 361-826-2489 to report violations for an abandoned property, high grass, or standing water.