Fireworks Safety Reminders for Residents
Have a Safe New Year
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX –The Corpus Christi Fire Department wants to remind everyone it is illegal to discharge fireworks inside the city limits, including the beach. If cited, you could be fined up to $2,000.00 per opened package of fireworks. To report an illegal discharge of fireworks, call the Corpus Christi Police Department non-emergency number at 361-886-2600. Please do not call 911 for fireworks complaints.
Fireworks Safety Tips include:
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks. Older children should use them only under close adult supervision.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear.
- Never light fireworks indoors. Only use them away from people, houses, and flammable material.
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting.
- Never ignite devices in a container.
- Do not try to relight or handle malfunctioning fireworks.
- Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding them.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that do not go off or in case of fire.
Corpus Christi Animal Care Services would like to remind you to keep your pets safe as you ring in the new year.
- Keep pets comfortable inside.
- Walk them before fireworks begin.
- Keep pets busy with a toy.
- Play soothing music.
- Update IDs and microchips.