Fire Department Urges Caution When Using Space Heaters
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – The Corpus Christi Fire Department (CCFD) wants to make sure residents stay safe and warm during the current severe winter weather conditions by providing the following safety tips when using portable space heaters:
- Inspect all heating equipment prior to use.
- Make sure all space heaters are clean and dust free.
- Choose electric space heaters that are UL approved with automatic shut-off or tip over safety features.
- If using extension cords, make sure they are the proper size and length.
- Never run extension cords under rugs or carpets.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from furniture and other flammable items.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, replace batteries regularly.
- NEVER use charcoal grills or other fuel-burning devices indoors.
- Keep an eye on children and pets when using space heaters.
- Always turn space heaters off when leaving home.
“The Fire Department urges residents to be careful with space heaters and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to use alternate heating devices in a safe manner,” Corpus Christi Fire Chief Robert Rocha said.