City-Wide Warming Centers Reopen Wednesday, February 17 through Friday, Friday 19 (11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.)
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – The City of Corpus Christi will open the La Retama Library and the following recreation and senior centers as warming centers beginning Wednesday, February 17 through Friday, February 19 from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
City Warming Centers are not a place to sleep nor eat. No pets will be allowed and no food will be provided.
Strict COVID-19 protocols will be in place to include temperature checks upon entry and facemasks are required. Visitors will be expected to follow Center for Disease Control (CDC) and State COVID-19 recommended guidelines such as maintaining 6 feet social distancing, along with other best personal-protection practices.
Locations Serving as Warming Centers:
La Retama Central Library 805 Comanche 826-7000
Ethel Eyerly Senior Center 654 Graham Road 826-2330
Garden Senior Center 5325 Greely Drive 826-2345
Oveal Williams Senior Center 1414 Martin Luther King Drive 826-2305
Northwest Senior Center 9725 Up River Road 826-2320
Lindale Recreation Center 3133 Swantner Drive 826-3449
The City also would like to remind everyone about the precautions you can take to reduce your risk of frostbite and hypothermia in extreme cold weather. The Texas Department of State Health Services advises:
- Wear several layers of loose-fitting clothing, mittens, a hat and a face cover when outdoors.
- Stay dry.
- Be extra cautious in the wind. A strong wind, even in only moderately cold weather, can cause a wind chill far below freezing.
- At the first signs of possible frostbite – redness or pain in any skin area – get out of the cold or protect any exposed skin.
- Watch for hypothermia symptoms.
- Confusion, drowsiness, slurred speech, a drop in blood pressure, shallow breathing and a pinkish tint to the skin.
- Anyone with hypothermia symptoms is in immediate danger and should receive medical help right away.
- Check on elderly or sick people, especially if they live alone or in isolated areas.
For more information visit www.cctexas.com/weather. or call the City Customer Service Call Center at (361) 826-2489 (CITY). Stay connected with our city social media channels Facebook @citygov and Twitter @cityofcc.