Weekly Road Closures Nov. 12-18
CORPUS CHRISTI, TEXAS – Some new work coming to downtown Corpus Christi on Chaparral and Water streets.
NEW- Chaparral Street and Water Street
Starting Monday, November 14, until the work is completed; contractors will be working on Chaparral Street and Water Street between Born Street and Kinney Street. During this period, Chaparral Street will be closed to traffic at Born Street and Kinney Street and the southbound lanes of Water Street will be reduced to one lane beginning at Kinney Street.
NEW- Harbor Bridge
On Friday, November 11 and Saturday, November 12, weather permitting; contractors will be conducting maintenance on the Harbor Bridge lights. On Friday, one northbound lane on the Harbor Bridge will be closed. On Saturday, two southbound lanes and one northbound lane will be closed through the work site. Work is scheduled between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
On Saturday, November 12, through Monday, November 14, weather permitting; contractors will be doing utility work on Suntide Road between IH-37 access road and Up River Road. As this project is ongoing, this section of Suntide Road will be closed to thru traffic. Westbound IH-37 access road traffic will detour onto northbound Tuloso Road, to eastbound Up River Road and back to Suntide Road.
NEW- Robert Street (IDIQ)
On Tuesday, November 15, and for one day only, weather permitting; City contractors will be working on Robert Street at the Alameda Street intersection. During this period, Robert Street will be closed to thru traffic from Delano Drive to Alameda Street. No turns will be allowed to Robert Street from Alameda Street.
NEW- Gollihar Road (IDIQ)
Beginning Monday, November 14, 2016 and for the next three weeks, weather permitting; City contractors will be working on Gollihar Road between Christie Street and Naples Street. Gollihar Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the work site.
Leopard Street (IDIQ)
Beginning Monday, November 7 and for the next two weeks, weather permitting; City contractors will be working on sidewalk pedestrian ramps in compliance with the American Disability Act. Construction will be on Leopard Street between Brownlee Boulevard and Staples Street. During this period, either eastbound or westbound Leopard Street traffic will be reduced to one lane through the work area.
Flour Bluff Drive
Beginning Monday, November 7 and for the next three weeks, weather permitting; AEP contractors will be working on Flour Bluff Drive between South Padre Island Drive and Yorktown Boulevard. During this period, Flour Bluff traffic will be periodically reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be on site to guide motorists through the work area.
Old Robstown Road (IDIQ)
Beginning Tuesday, October 18, and for the next six weeks, weather permitting; City contractors will be working on Old Robstown Road between Leopard Street and Agnes Street. During this period, Old Robstown Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site. Flaggers will be available to assist motorist through the work area.
McCaughan Park is closed during the first phase of construction. The Seawall in the area will continue to be open to the public during construction. When construction at McCaughan Park is completed, contractors will move to the north end of the project and begin working on Sherrill Park. Left turns will not be allowed from Southbound Shoreline Boulevard to Park Street.
Park Road 22
Through Friday, November 25, City contractors will be working on Park Road 22. During this period the following traffic control plans will be implemented:
- Traffic Signal installation: Southbound Park Road 22 will be narrowed to widen the shoulder lane while a new signal is being installed.
- Removal of the existing intersection median: Park Road 22 left turning lanes at the Aquarius intersection will be closed to traffic. No left turns will be permitted at this intersection.
- There will be various lane closures on Park road 22 through the Aquarius Street intersection.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Beginning August 15, City contractors will be working on McArdle Road in front of the Paul R. Haas Middle School; and while this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- The eastbound or McArdle Road traffic between Nile Drive and Aswan Drive will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the work site.
- McArdle Road, from the Islamic Society of Southern Texas entrance to Ennis Joslin Road will be closed to traffic. Motorists needing access to this section of McArdle Road can take Nile Drive to McArdle Road.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Starting May 30, 2016 and until completion, Staples Street between Comanche Street and Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street will be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. When necessary, flaggers will available to guide motorists through the work site.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, August 29, and until the completion of the work, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will switch onto the southbound lanes to allow contractors to work on the northbound lanes. As a result, the traffic will be narrowed to one lane of traffic in each direction between Buford Street and Ayers Street.
- There will be left turn restrictions during this period - Northbound traffic will not be permitted to turn left at Morgan Avenue, and Buford Street (except for emergency vehicles).
- Left turns will be allowed at Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street for northbound traffic. There will be a left turn provided for southbound traffic at Buford Street to access the Emerald Beach Hotel. There will be a left turn provided for northbound and southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street to access Christus Spohn Hospital and Marina Del Sol Condominiums. The left turns for northbound traffic at Elizabeth Street will be monitored by the City and may be restricted in the future depending on construction at Christus Spohn Hospital.
- Pedestrians are asked to use the sidewalks on the west side of the street and bicyclists are encouraged to avoid the area.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 6, 2016 and until the completion of the work the following Traffic Control Plan will be implemented:
- Williams Drive will be periodically reduced to one lane of traffic from Airline Road to Staples Street beginning Friday, August 18, 2016
- City contractors will be doing road work at the Airline Road and Williams Drive intersection. No left turns are permitted within the work zone of Airline Drive.
- Southbound Airline Road traffic will be shifted onto the northbound lanes and traffic will be reduced to one in each direction. No left turns will be allowed at the intersection
- Eastbound Williams Drive is closed to thru traffic between Candlewood Drive and Airline Road. Eastbound Williams Drive traffic will be detoured onto southbound Rodd Field Road, unto Treyway Lane to Williams Drive. No Left turn permitted at the Williams Drive/Airline road intersection.
- Westbound Williams Drive traffic will detour southbound on Airline Road, to eastbound Holly Road, onto northbound Rodd Field Road, to Williams Drive.
- Northbound Airline Road traffic will detour to the eastbound onto South Padre Island Drive access road, onto southbound Candlewood Drive to Williams Drive.
Navigation Boulevard (CIP)
Beginning on August 15, 2016, southbound Navigation traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street, will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. This doesn’t include the TXDOT right-of-way between the IH-37 access roads.
International Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 25, and for the next six months, City contractors will have various lane closures on International Drive as part of the International Drive Road Improvement bond project. Motorists are asked to be mindful of the various lane closures when driving on International Drive to the airport. Work is scheduled on International Drive between Agnes Street and the Glasson Drive intersection.
Schatzell Street is closed to traffic between Chaparral Street and Mesquite Street. Westbound Schatzell traffic will detour onto Chaparral Street, then onto Taylor Street, to Mesquite Street to Schatzell Street.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzel Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at 826-3547.