Weekly Road Closures June 25- July 1
Construction continues on Ocean Drive, but new additions this week include a section of Alameda and Sam Rankin streets. Be on the lookout for detour signs and flaggers to assist with traffic.
NEW – Alameda Street
Beginning June 27, 2016 and for three days; weather permitting; contractors will be doing utility work on Alameda Street between Kinney Street and Laredo Street. As the work is ongoing, Alameda Street will be closed to through traffic at this section of Alameda Street. Southbound Alameda Street traffic will detour onto Kinney, onto Staples Street, and then to Laredo Street. Northbound Alameda Street traffic will detour onto Laredo Street, onto the SH 286 Crosstown Expressway access road, onto Comanche Street then to Alameda Street.
NEW – Ocean Drive and Hewitt Drive Intersection
Beginning June 28, contractors will be working on Ocean Drive near the Hewitt Drive intersection between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. During this period, Ocean Drive will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site.
NEW – Mexico, Josephine, Sam Rankin streets
Beginning June 27 through July 8, daily lane closures will be required for road work. Flaggers will be onsite to guide motorists through the work zone.
NEW - McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
For the next six months; weather permitting, City contractors will be working on McArdle Road. During this period, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Beginning on June 27 until completion of the work, City contractors will be shifting traffic onto the eastbound lanes and reducing McArdle Road to one lane in each direction between Woodlawn Drive and Clarion Drive.
- The eastbound or westbound McArdle Road traffic between Prince Drive and Nile Drive will be periodically reduced to one lane through the work site. Motorists should follow detour signs and flaggers.
- McArdle Road, from the Islamic Society of Southern Texas entrance to Ennis Joslin Road. Motorists needing access to this section of McArdle Road can take Nile Drive to McArdle Road.
Beginning June 20, through July 1, 2016, westbound Elizabeth Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic between Ocean Drive and 3rd Street, weather permitting.
Schatzel Street is closed to traffic between Chaparral Street and Mesquite Street. Westbound Schatzel traffic will detour onto Chaparral Street, then onto Taylor Street, to Mesquite Street to Schatzel Street.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, June 20 until completion of Phase I, city contractors will do utility work on Ocean Drive between Ayers Street and Buford Street. During this time, the northbound Ocean Drive traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
- City contractors will be doing road work at the Airline Road and Williams Drive intersection. While this work is ongoing, northbound Airline traffic will be shifted onto the southbound lanes and traffic will be reduced to one in each direction. No left turns will be allowed at the intersection
- Eastbound Williams Drive traffic will detour to Airline Road, to Holly Road and then back to Williams Drive. Westbound Williams Drive traffic will detour eastbound on Williams Drive, to southbound Rodd Field Road, onto westbound Holly Road, onto northbound Treyway Lane and then to Williams Drive. Northbound Airline Road traffic will detour to the eastbound South Padre Island Drive access road, onto southbound Candlewood Drive and then to Williams Drive.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, May 30 until completion, Staples Street between Comanche Street and Morgan Avenue, will be shifted to the northbound lanes with one lane in each direction. Caldwell Street and Mussett Street will be closed to traffic.
Navigation Boulevard (CIP)
Until completion, southbound Navigation traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street, will be shifted onto the northbound lanes with one lane in each direction. This doesn’t include the TXDOT right-of-way between the IH-37 access roads.
Santa Fe Street (Bond 2014)
Beginning Tuesday, March 22 and for the next three months, weather permitting, City contractors will work on Santa Fe Street form Morgan Avenue to Hancock Avenue. As the work is ongoing, Santa Fe Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work area. In addition, the intersections of Hancock Avenue, Buford Street and Craig Street will be closed to traffic. No eastbound turns will be allowed at these intersections.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzel Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at 826-3547.