Weekly Road Closures July 29 - August 4
New – Ayers Street (Contractors)
Contractors have extended their work to August 4 on the new Mission of Mercy project near the corner of Baldwin Boulevard and Ayers Street. As this project is ongoing, southbound Ayers Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the intersection.
New – Airline Road (SPMP)
Contractors will be doing road work on southbound Airline Road on Monday, July 31, between Gollihar Road and McArdle Road. During this period, southbound Airline Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic between 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
New – Water Street (Contractors)
City Contractors will be doing utility work on various locations of Water Street from Monday, July 31 through Friday, August 11. Most of the work will be on the sidewalk and southbound Water Street may be intermediately reduced to one lane of traffic. There may be occasions when the contractor will need to work at night from 8:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m.
Kostoryz Road (Bond 2012)
Starting Tuesday, July 25, and for one week, weather permitting, City contractors will be working on the east and west side of Kostoryz Road. While north Brawner Parkway is closed to traffic, detour signs will guide motorists around the work zone. Eastbound Kostoryz Road traffic will shift onto the westbound lane with one lane in each direction.
Ayers Street (Bond 2014)
Beginning Tuesday, July 25, and for the next three weeks, weather permitting, city contractors will be working on Ayers Street at the Santa Fe Street, and Booty Street intersection. During this time, eastbound Booty Street will be closed at the intersection and the detour to Santa Fe Street will be through Ayers Street. At the same time, eastbound Ayers Street traffic will be reduced to one lane at the intersection. Ayers Street will be closed to traffic on the east side of Santa Fe Street. Northbound and southbound Santa Fe Street traffic will be reduced to one lane through the Ayers Street intersection.
As of Thursday, July 20, the following temporary traffic control plan was implemented:
- Santa Fe Street: Northbound Santa Fe traffic will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction through the intersection.
- Ayers Street: Eastbound Ayers Street traffic approaching Santa Fe will be reduced to one lane of traffic and left turns onto northbound Santa Fe will be permitted. Eastbound Ayers will be closed to traffic from Santa Fe to Ocean Drive. While at the same time, Ayers traffic will be reduced to one lane and become one-way from Ocean to Santa Fe. Detour onto Ayers will be from Ocean Drive, onto Del Mar Boulevard, onto Third to Ayers.
- Second Street: Access to Second Street will be through Ocean Drive. Motorists exiting Second Street will need to turn left onto Ayers to Santa Fe.
- Third Street: Third Street traffic approaching Ayers will be reduced to one of traffic. Thru traffic and left turns will be permitted from Third Street.
Greenwood Drive (Bond 2012)
Starting Tuesday, July 25, City contractors, between Horne Road and Gollihar Road, will switch the northbound traffic onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets on the east side of Greenwood Drive will remain open.
Yorktown Boulevard (Bond 2014)
On Thursday, July 20, city contractors started phase one of the Yorktown Boulevard project between Everhart Road and Yorkshire Drive. Eastbound traffic will be shifted to the westbound lanes with one lane in each direction. Motorists traveling northbound on Lipes Boulevard will not be allowed to make a left turn onto Yorktown Boulevard. Motorists are reminded of the reduced speed limit to 25 MPH through the work zone.
Paul Jones Avenue
Beginning Monday, July 17 through August 4, weather permitting, contractors will be doing road work on Paul Jones Avenue between Holly Road and Moffet Drive. During this period, Paul Jones Avenue will be closed to traffic. Eastbound Paul Jones Avenue traffic will detour south onto Holly Road, west onto Lexington Road, north onto South Padre Island Drive and back to Paul Jones Avenue.
Southern Minerals Road
Starting Thursday, June 22, Southern Minerals Road is closed to traffic between IH-37 and Up River Road. Motorists needing access to Up River Road from westbound IH-37 will detour onto Goldston Road to Up River Road. Those needing access to IH-37 from Up River Road will detour onto Valero Way to IH-37.
Alameda Street (Bond 2012)
As of Friday, June, 9 the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
Staples Street: Southbound Staples Street traffic will be reduced to one lane approaching the Six Points intersection.
Alameda Street: Traffic on Alameda Street between Six Points and Louisiana Avenue will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets off Alameda Street will remain open to traffic. Northbound traffic approaching the Louisiana Avenue intersection will be reduced to one lane.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Staples Street between Comanche Street and Agnes Street is open to traffic with two lanes in each direction. Agnes Street to Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street may be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be available when necessary to guide motorists through the work site.
Gollihar Road (Bond 2014)
Gollihar Road between Kostoryz Road and Weber Road will be closed during the first phase of the project. Traffic will detour to South Staples Street and McArdle Road.
Eastbound and westbound Gollihar Road from Marie Street to Staples Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Left turns will not be allowed from Northbound Staples Street to Gollihar Road.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Traffic changes on Ocean Drive from Louisiana Avenue to Morgan Avenue are as follows:
- Traffic will be narrowed to the northbound lanes with one lane in each direction beginning at Louisiana Avenue to Morgan Avenue. Southbound Ocean Drive traffic will be transitioned onto the new pavement at the Morgan Avenue intersection.
- The Ayers Street intersection at Ocean Drive will be closed for about 4 to 6 weeks.
- Northbound traffic will not be allowed to turn left at Del Mar Boulevard, Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street. A dedicated left turn at Morgan Avenue and Buford Street for northbound traffic will remain open.
- Left turns will be allowed for southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street.
- Northbound and southbound Ocean Drive traffic should use Morgan Avenue since the Ayers Street intersection at Ocean Drive will be temporarily closed.
- Southern, Naples, and Cole streets will be restricted to resident traffic only with no through traffic to Ocean Drive. Del Mar Boulevard and Atlantic Street will have intermittent access to Ocean Drive.
- Eastbound traffic on Louisiana will be required to go south on Ocean Drive. If a vehicle wishes to go north on Ocean Drive, then the driver will need to go south and make a U-turn to go back to the north.
- The posted speed limit is 25 MPH through the construction area.
- Pedestrian access will be closed along the southbound lanes between Louisiana Avenue and Morgan Avenue including the sidewalks adjacent to Spohn Hospital. Pedestrian access through the construction zone will be transferred to the newly completed sidewalks along the northbound lanes. Temporary pedestrian access crossing Ocean Drive will remain at the Del Mar Boulevard intersection. Bicyclists are encouraged to find another route.
Lawrence Street between Mesquite Street and Chaparral Street is partially open to traffic and is currently reduced to one lane with the traffic merger beginning between Upper Broadway and Mesquite Street.
Tuloso Road (Bond 2012)
During this phase of the construction, northbound Tuloso Road is closed to traffic between IH-37 and Leopard Street. Northbound Tuloso Road traffic will be detoured onto Suntide Road to IH-37.
Navigation Boulevard (Capital Improvements Program)
Beginning December 21, until completion of this phase of the project, Navigation Boulevard traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. The existing traffic control devices placed by TxDOT at IH-37 access road intersections will remain in place.
For a Google map of road work including Bond, Street Preventative Maintenance Program and Street Operations projects, please visit
For information related to all current and upcoming lane closures associated with the Harbor Bridge project, please visit http://www.harborbridgeproject.com/.