Weekly Road Closures December 10-16
CORPUS CHRISTI, TEXAS – A few changes to the traffic control plan on Williams Drive are coming up starting this weekend. Be on the lookout for road closures on the streets and drive safe.
New - Commodore Drive (CIP)
Beginning Wednesday, December 7, and for approximately 2 months, weather permitting; City contractors will be doing road work on Commodore Drive between Schlitterbahn Street and Park Road 22. As this project is ongoing, Commodore Drive will be reduced to one lane in each direction.
New - Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning December 8 through December 16, 2016, weather permitting, the following Traffic Control Plan will be implemented at the Airline Road/Williams Drive intersection:
- Northbound Airline Road will be closed to traffic at the Williams Drive intersection. Northbound traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic and shifted onto the southbound lanes through the intersection. No left turns will be permitted at the intersection.
- Southbound Airline Road traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the Williams Drive intersection. No left turns will be allowed at the intersection
- Eastbound Williams Drive will be reduced to one lane of traffic and traffic will be forced to turn right onto southbound Airline Road. No left turns are permitted at the intersection.
- Westbound Williams Drive traffic will be closed to traffic at the Airline intersection.
- Detour for northbound Airline Road traffic will be north onto South Padre Island Drive, onto east IH-37 access road, onto southbound Staples Street to Williams Drive.
- Detour for southbound Airline Road traffic will be south onto eastbound Holly Road, onto northbound Staples Street to Williams Drive.
New - Staples Street (IDIQ)
Due to weather conditions, contractors will start this project on Monday, December 12, through January 6, weather permitting. City contractors will be doing road work on Staples Street between Six Points and 16th Street. During this period, there will be various lane closures, and either the westbound or eastbound traffic will be reduced to one lane through the work area. Flaggers will be on site at the intersections to assist motorists, when necessary.
On December 10, 2016, contractors will be setting up a large crane to work on the roof of 600 Leopard Street Building located between Carancahua Street and Upper Broadway. During this Leopard Street will be closed between Carancahua Street and Upper Broadway. Eastbound Leopard Street traffic will be detoured onto Carancahua, onto Antelope, onto Upper Broadway to Leopard Street. Westbound traffic will be detoured onto Upper Broadway, onto William Street, onto Carancahua Street to Leopard Street.
Gollihar Road (IDIQ)
Contractors will be doing utility work on Gollihar Road at the intersection of Christie Street through Friday December 23, 2016, weather permitting. During this period, Gohihar Road will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction at the intersection.
Carancahua Street (IDIQ)
Contractors will be doing construction work on Carancahua Street from November 28 through December 23, weather permitting. During this period, Carancahua Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic between Furman Avenue and IH-37.
Alameda Street (Bond 2014)
Beginning on Monday, November 21, 2016 and until the completion of the project, City contractors will be doing construction work on Alameda Street between Lipan Street and Kinney Street. As this project is ongoing, Alameda Street will be closed to traffic between Kinney Street and Lipan Street. All side streets intersecting Alameda Street will remain open to traffic.
Staples Street (IDIQ)
Beginning on Tuesday, November 28, 2016 through Monday, Friday, December 9, 2016, weather permitting; City contractors will be working near the intersections of Comanche Street and SH 286 (Crosstown Expressway). As the project is ongoing, Comanche Street traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic on either side of SH 286. Flaggers will be onsite to guide motorist through the work areas.
Park Road 22 at Aquarius Street
The traffic signal installation project has been extended through Friday, December 16. There will be various lane closures on Park Road 22 through the Aquarius Street intersection.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Beginning May 30, 2016 and until completion of the project, Staples Street between Comanche Street and Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples will be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be available to guide motorists through the work site.
McCaughan Park is closed during the first phase of construction. The Seawall in the area will continue to be open to the public during construction. When construction at McCaughan Park is completed, contractors will move to the north end of the project and begin working on Sherrill Park. Left turns will not be allowed from Southbound Shoreline Boulevard to Park Street.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Beginning August 15, City contractors will be working on McArdle Road in front of the Paul R. Haas Middle School; and while this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- The eastbound or McArdle Road traffic between Nile Drive and Aswan Drive will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the work site.
- McArdle Road, from the Islamic Society of Southern Texas entrance to Ennis Joslin Road will be closed to traffic. Motorists needing access to this section of McArdle Road can take Nile Drive to McArdle Road.
Navigation Boulevard (CIP)
Beginning on August 15, 2016, southbound Navigation traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street, will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. This doesn’t include the TXDOT right-of-way between the IH-37 access roads.
International Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning July 25, and for the next six months, City contractors will have various lane closures on International Drive as part of the International Drive Road Improvement bond project. Motorists are asked to be mindful of the various lane closures when driving on International Drive to the airport. Work is scheduled on International Drive between Agnes Street and the Glasson Drive intersection.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, August 29, and until the completion of the work, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will switch onto the southbound lanes to allow contractors to work on the northbound lanes. As a result, the traffic will be narrowed to one lane of traffic in each direction between Buford Street and Ayers Street.
- There will be left turn restrictions during this period - Northbound traffic will not be permitted to turn left at Morgan Avenue, and Buford Street (except for emergency vehicles).
- Left turns will be allowed at Ayers Street and Elizabeth Street for northbound traffic. There will be a left turn provided for southbound traffic at Buford Street to access the Emerald Beach Hotel. There will be a left turn provided for northbound and southbound traffic at Elizabeth Street to access Christus Spohn Hospital and Marina Del Sol Condominiums. The left turns for northbound traffic at Elizabeth Street will be monitored by the City and may be restricted in the future depending on construction at Christus Spohn Hospital.
- Pedestrians are asked to use the sidewalks on the west side of the street and bicyclists are encouraged to avoid the area.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzel Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at 826-3547.