Weekly Road Closures April 29- May 5
Starting Thursday, April 27 until the work is complete, weather permitting, city contractors will be doing road work on Carancahua Street at Comanche Street. Various lane shirts and road closures will occur with travel lanes reduced to one lane and parking restrictions along the construction zone.
Carroll Lane (IDIQ)
Beginning Wednesday, April 12 to Tuesday, May 2, weather permitting, city contractors will be doing road work on Carroll Lane between Staples Street and Harris Drive. During this period, there will be various lane closures with one lane in each direction.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Staples Street between Comanche Street and Agnes Street is open to traffic with both lanes in each direction. Agnes Street to Morgan Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street may be periodically closed or reduced to one lane of traffic. Flaggers will be available when necessary to guide motorists through the work site.
Elizabeth Street (Contractor)
Beginning Tuesday, April 11 to Thursday, May 5, weather permitting, Christus Spohn Hospital contractors will be doing utility work on Elizabeth Street between 3rd Street and Ocean Drive. During this period, eastbound traffic on Elizabeth Street will be reduced to one lane. Traffic control devices and signs will guide motorist around the work zone during construction hours. Devices will be removed at the end of each workday.
Lawrence Street between Mesquite Street and Chaparral Street is partially open to traffic and is currently reduced to one lane with the traffic merger beginning between Upper Broadway and Mesquite Street.
Beginning Tuesday, April 4 through Friday, May 5, weather permitting, City contractors will be doing utility work on Elizabeth Street between Third Street and the Hospital Valet Parking garage. As work continues, eastbound Elizabeth Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic.
Kostoryz Road (Bond 2012) and Brawner Parkway
Contractors will be doing utility work on Orlando Drive near the Kostoryz Road intersection. Orlando Drive will be closed to through traffic between Casa De Oro Drive and Kostoryz Road, and residents will be detoured onto Casa De Oro Drive, then onto Casa Bonita Drive, then onto Texan Trail, then onto Staples Street, and then to Kostoryz Road. At the same time, Corta Drive will be closed to through traffic. Residents will exit Corta Street onto Casa Grande Drive, onto Norton Street to Kostoryz Road.
In addition, beginning Monday, March 9, and for one month, contractors will close the east side of the intersection of Brawner Parkway (North) and Kostoryz Road. As this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Brawner Parkway (North) will be closed to through traffic between Benton Street and Kostoryz Road. Residents can access Kostoryz Road by detouring onto Benton Street, then onto Olsen Drive to Kostoryz Road.
- At the same time, Kostoryz Road northbound traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work site.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning January 24 through May, weather permitting, Williams Drive traffic between Staples Street and Treyway Lane will be shifted onto the westbound lanes and traffic reduced to one lane in each direction. The Williams Drive traffic pattern between Treyway lane and Airline Road is opened to eastbound and westbound directions of travel. The contractor will continue proposed utility and paving work between Treyway Lane and Staples Street on the south side of Williams Drive (eastbound lanes) through intersecting streets. At times, additional traffic control measures will be implemented that may disrupt the flow of traffic during construction. The following intersections below will encounter periodic disruptions of traffic flow to include daytime closures and detouring as depicted below.
- Treyway Lane: Treyway Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Drive. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Melisa Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Melisa Lane: Melisa Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Drive. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Treyway Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Leslie Lane: Leslie Lane will be closed to through traffic between Joliet Drive and Williams Road. Residents will be detoured onto Joliet Drive, then onto Melisa Lane and then to Williams Drive.
- Williams Drive will continue to have one lane of traffic in each direction through the work area.
- Only one street will be closed at any one time.
Southern Minerals Road
Northbound Southern Minerals Road traffic between IH-37 and Up River Road will be closed, while southbound Southern Minerals Road will be open to traffic. The detour will be through Valero Way to IH-37.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Contractors will be working on McArdle Road between Whitaker Drive and Ennis Joslin Road. While this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- McArdle Road between South Staples Street and Stratton Drive is open to traffic with two lanes in each direction.
- McArdle Road traffic between Whitaker Drive and Nile Drive is shifted onto the westbound lanes with one lane in each direction.
- McArdle Road traffic between Nile Drive to Rodd Field Road is open with one lane in each direction.
- Meadowlane Drive and Limestone Drive are closed at the Williams Drive intersection. Detour is south onto Southhaven Drive, then onto Nile Drive and then to Williams Drive.
Tuloso Road (Bond 2012)
During this phase of the construction, northbound Tuloso Road is closed to traffic between IH-37 and Leopard Street. Northbound Tuloso Road traffic will be detoured onto Suntide Road to IH-37.
Greenwood Drive (Bond 2012)
Greenwood Drive traffic, between Gollihar Road and Horne Road, is shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. All side streets into the residential neighborhoods will remain open to traffic.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, January 9, until the completion of this phase of the work, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will switch onto the southbound lanes between south of Louisiana Avenue at Leming Avenue and Elizabeth Street to allow contractors to work on the northbound lanes. As a result, the traffic will be narrowed to one lane of traffic in each direction between Buford Street and Ayers Street.
- There will be left turn restrictions during this period - northbound traffic will not be permitted to turn left at Del Mar Boulevard, Ayers Street, and Elizabeth Street. Left turns at Morgan Avenue will be permitted for the hospital.
- Pedestrians are asked to use the sidewalks on the west side of the street and bicyclists are encouraged to avoid the area. Pedestrian crosswalks will be in place at Buford Street and Del Mar Boulevard but not at Ayers Street, Elizabeth Street or Morgan Street. The roadside sidewalk on the water side from north of Ayers Street to the south of Louisiana Avenue will be closed to allow for drainage and roadway work. The lower sidewalks in Cole Park will be open but should be accessed using the west side sidewalks and the Del Mar Boulevard crosswalk.
- Once the change is made, City traffic engineering and the contractor will be monitoring the situation and will be making signal timing adjustments.
Motorists driving northbound on Ocean Drive are reminded there are no left turns at Ayers Street, Elizabeth Street, and at Del Mar Boulevard.
Navigation Boulevard (Capital Improvements Program)
Beginning December 21, until completion of this phase of the project, Navigation Boulevard traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. The existing traffic control devices placed by TXDOT at IH-37 access road intersections will remain in place.
For more information, contact Traffic Engineering at (361) 826-3547.
For information related to all current and upcoming lane closures associated with the Harbor Bridge project, please visit http://www.harborbridgeproject.com/.