Weekly Road Closures April 16-22
New – Intersection of Weber Road and Gollihar Road
On Tuesday, April 19 and for one day only, an AT&T contractor will be working at two locations near the Weber Road and Gollihar Road intersection. Contractors will reduce both Gollihar Road eastbound and Weber Road southbound traffic to one lane at the intersection. At the same time, eastbound and westbound Gollihar Road traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction east of the Weber Road intersection.
New – Carancahua Street
Beginning on Sunday, April 19 through Saturday, April 19, contractors will be replacing cooling tower units on top of Tower II located at 555 Carancahua Street. During this period the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Northbound Carancahua Street traffic will be reduced to one lane from Comanche Street to Mestina Street. Carancahua Street will be closed to traffic beginning from the north end of the Wilson Plaza garage to Leopard Street. Carancahua Street northbound traffic will be able to exit onto Mestina Street. Northbound Carancahua Street traffic will detour west onto Lipan Street, north onto Staples Street, east onto Leopard Street to Carancahua Street
New - Southern Minerals Road
On Tuesday, April 19 and Wednesday April 20, contractors will be removing utility pipelines on Southern Minerals Road. During this period, Southern Minerals Road will be closed to traffic near the Up River Road intersection. Northbound Southern Minerals Road will be open to through traffic only. Westbound Up River Road traffic will detour onto southbound Suntide Road, onto eastbound IH-37 access road to Southern Minerals. Eastbound Up River Road traffic will detour onto southbound Valero Way onto westbound IH-37 access road to Southern Minerals Road.
New - Yorktown Boulevard
Due to weather forecast, work on Yorktown Boulevard has temporarily stopped and will resume again on Monday, April 25, 2016. Until then, no detours will be setup during this period.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
For the next six months; weather permitting, City contractors will be working on McArdle Road. During this period, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Either the eastbound or westbound McArdle Road traffic between Prince Drive and Nile Drive will be periodically reduced to one lane through the work site. Motorists should follow the detour signs and flaggers throughout the work site.
- McArdle Road, from Rodd Field Road to The Rock Creek Apartments entrance, is now two lanes of traffic, with one lane in each direction. McArdle Road will be reduce to one eastbound lane of traffic towards Ennis Joslin Road. Motorists needing access to this section of McArdle Road can take Nile Drive to McArdle Road.
Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
- Starting Monday, April 4, City contractors will be doing road work at the Airline Road and Williams Drive intersection. While this work is ongoing, northbound Airline traffic will be shifted onto the southbound lanes and traffic will be reduced to one in each direction. No left turns will be allowed at the intersection
- Eastbound Williams Drive traffic will detour to Airline Road, onto Holly Road and then back to Williams Drive. Westbound Williams Drive traffic will detour eastbound on Williams Drive, onto southbound Rodd Field Road, onto westbound Holly Road, onto northbound Treyway Lane to Williams Drive. At the same time, northbound Airline Road traffic can detour onto the eastbound South Padre Island Drive access road, onto southbound Candlewood Drive to Williams Drive.
Navigation Boulevard (Bond 2012)
Beginning on Monday, March 28 and for the one year; weather permitting, City contractor will be doing road work on Navigation Boulevard from the Up River Road to Leopard Street. As this work progresses, Navigation Boulevard traffic will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the work area.
Santa Fe Street (Bond 2014)
Beginning Tuesday, March 22 and for the next three months, weather permitting, City contractors will start work on Santa Fe Street form Morgan Avenue to Hancock Avenue. As the work is ongoing, Santa Fe Street will be reduced to one lane of traffic through the work area. In addition, the intersections of Hancock Avenue, Buford Street and Craig Street will be closed to traffic. No eastbound turns will be allowed at these intersections.
Various City Streets (Field Testing)
Beginning Monday, March 21 through April 8; weather permitting, contractors will be doing core sampling and field testing on various city streets. Roads will be periodically reduced to one lane through the work site.
Beginning Monday, February 15, there will be various lane closures on Staples Street between Comanche Street and Leopard Street.
Beginning Thursday, October 8, and until completion, City contractors will be doing utility/road work on Horne Road between Ayers Street and Port Avenue. As this work is ongoing, Horne Road westbound traffic will be shifted onto the eastbound with one lane of traffic in each direction.
RTA Transfer Station Demolition
Beginning on Monday, August 24, and until the new Regional Transportation Authority building is open the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
Sam Rankin Street and Josephine Street will be closed to traffic. Those needing access to the City Hall parking lots will need to enter Sam Rankin through Mestina Street. No left turns will be permitted on to Sam Rankin Street or Josephine Street from Leopard Street. Motorists will detour through Mestina Street to Brownlee Boulevard. Access to Leopard Street though Mexico Street will also be available. In addition, the bus parking space will be extend in front of Josephine Street and Sam Rankin Street intersection on Leopard Street.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzell Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, please contact Traffic Engineering at 826-3547.