Weekly Road Closures January 14th - 20th
New – Greenwood Drive (Bond 2012)
Until completion of the project, Greenwood Drive traffic will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction between Gollihar Road and Horne Road. All side streets into the residential neighborhoods will remain open to traffic.
New - Williams Drive (Bond 2012)
Starting Friday, January 23, 2017, and for the next four months, weather permitting; Williams Drive traffic will be shifted onto the westbound lanes and traffic reduced to one lane in each direction between Staples Street and Airline Road. All residential side streets will be open at the Williams Drive intersection and driveways accessible.
New – Christie Street (IDIQ)
Beginning Thursday, January 12, 2017, and for the next three weeks, weather permitting; Christie Street will be closed to through traffic from Gollihar Road to Horne Road, and Cuiper Street will be closed to through traffic from Naples Street to Christie Street.
- Eastbound Cuiper Street traffic will be detoured onto Naples Street, onto Alexander Street, onto Ramsey Street to Cuiper Street. Westbound Cuiper Street traffic will be detoured onto Ramsey Street, onto Horne Road, onto Naples Street to Cuiper Street.
New - McArdle Road and Nile Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Friday, January 13, 2017, and for approximately one week, weather permitting; City contractors will be working at the intersection of McArdle Road and Nile Drive. During this period, motorists should follow detour signs around the work zone.
New – Antelope Street
Beginning Friday, January 20 through Sunday, January 22, 2017, weather permitting; contractors will setup a large crane on Antelope Street while the Wells Fargo elevators are being replaced. During this period, eastbound Antelope Street will be closed between Tancahua Street and Upper Broadway. Antelope Street eastbound traffic will be detoured onto southbound Tancahua Street, onto westbound Leopard Street, onto eastbound Buffalo Street to Upper Broadway Street.
Ocean Drive (Bond 2012)
Beginning Monday, January 9, 2017, and until the completion of this phase of the work, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Traffic will switch onto the southbound lanes between south of Louisiana Avenue at Lemming Avenue and Elizabeth Street to allow contractors to work on the northbound lanes. As a result, the traffic will be narrowed to one lane of traffic in each direction between Buford Street and Ayers Street.
- There will be left turn restrictions during this period - northbound traffic will not be permitted to turn left at Del Mar Boulevard, Ayers Street, and Elizabeth Street. Left Turns at Morgan Avenue will be permitted for the hospital.
- Pedestrians are asked to use the sidewalks on the west side of the street and bicyclists are encouraged to avoid the area. Pedestrians cross walks will be in place at Buford Street and Del Mar Boulevard, but not at Ayers Street, Elizabeth Street or Morgan Avenue. The roadside sidewalk on the water side, from north of Ayers Street to south of Louisiana Avenue will be closed to allow for drainage and roadway work. The lower sidewalks in Cole Park will be open, but should be accessed using the west side sidewalks and the Del Mar Boulevard crosswalk.
- Once the change is made, City traffic engineering and the contractor will be monitoring the situation and will be making signal timing adjustments.
Navigation Boulevard (CIP)
Beginning December 21, 2016 and until completion of this phase of the project, Navigation Boulevard traffic between Up River Road and Leopard Street will be shifted onto the southbound lanes with one lane in each direction. The existing traffic control devices placed by TXDOT at IH-37 access road intersections will remain in place.
Alameda Street (Bond 2014)
Until the completion of the project, City contractors will be doing construction work on Alameda Street between Lipan Street and Kinney Street. As this project is ongoing, Alameda Street will be closed to traffic between Kinney Street and Lipan Street. All side streets intersecting Alameda Street will remain open to traffic.
Staples Street (Bond 2012)
Until completion of this phase of the project, Staples Street, between Comanche Street and Morgan Avenue, will be reduced to one lane in each direction. In addition, various side streets along this section of Staples Street will be periodically closed or reduced to one lane. Flaggers will be available to guide motorists through the work site.
McCaughan Park is closed during the first phase of construction. The seawall in the area will continue to be open to the public during construction. When construction at McCaughan Park is completed, contractors will move to the north end of the project and begin working on Sherrill Park. Left turns will not be allowed from southbound Shoreline Boulevard to Park Street.
McArdle Road (Bond 2012)
Contractors will be working on McArdle Road in front of the Paul R. Haas Middle School; while this work is ongoing, the following traffic control plan will be implemented:
- Eastbound McArdle Road traffic, between Nile Drive and Crescent Drive, will be reduced to one lane of traffic in each direction through the work site.
- McArdle Road, from the Islamic Society of Southern Texas entrance to Ennis Joslin Road, will be closed to traffic. Motorists needing access to this section of McArdle Road can take Nile Drive to McArdle Road.
International Drive (Bond 2012)
Through January 20, 2017, City contractors will have various lane closures on International Drive as part of the International Drive Road Improvement Bond Project. Motorists are asked to be mindful of the various lane closures when driving on International Drive to the airport. Work is scheduled on International Drive between Agnes Street and the Glasson Drive intersection.
Lawrence Street will be closed from Mesquite Street to Chaparral Street. There is no parking permitted on Mesquite Street from Schatzel Street to Lawrence Street.
For more information, contact Traffic Engineering at (361) 826-3547.