Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront
When: Saturday, May 23, at 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Where: The Water’s Edge
402 Shoreline Blvd.
Who: City Manager Peter Zanoni (available for interview at 9:30 a.m. at Islanders Pavilion)
Councilwoman Paulette Guajardo, At-Large City Council Member
Victor Bentancourt, VFit Productions
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX – Find your inner weekend warrior by getting out and enjoying our city’s beautiful waterfront by biking, walking, jogging or running on a 1.25-mile designated fitness lane from Cole Park to Lawrence Street! The public is invited to use the fitness lane from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Saturday, May 23, 2020. The expanded street lane will help to reduce the overcrowding of the sidewalks and enable social distancing of six to ten feet while exercising.
To ensure the safety of participants and the public, the following temporary traffic changes will be implemented from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Saturday, May 23:
- Northbound Ocean Drive will be reduced to one lane between Louisiana Avenue and Ayers Street
- Northbound Ocean Drive will be closed between Ayers Street and Furman Avenue
- Northbound motorists along Ocean Drive will be detoured at Ayers Street (westbound)
This pilot program is part of City Manager Peter Zanoni’s new health and wellness initiative called “Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront”. In coordination with Victor Betancourt of VFit Productions and the City’s Parks and Recreation Department, the City will offer free “Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront” exercise and wellness sessions for adults from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at The Water’s Edge, 402 S. Shoreline Boulevard. All the sessions, except Zumba, will be held on The Great Lawn located between the two large parking lots. Zumba will be held at the Islanders Pavilion next to the playground.
The 45-minute sessions will include:
- Walk to Run (7:00 a.m.-7:45 a.m.): teaching individuals the skills needed to increase their endurance through proper running and walking techniques.
- Fit Moves (7:45 a.m.- 8:30 a.m.): fitness training through a variety of techniques including body weight training, conditioning and circuit training.
- Yoga (8:30 a.m. – 9:15 a.m.): guiding individuals through a series of poses to improve physical and mental strength.
- Zumba (9:30 a.m. – 10:05 a.m.): an aerobic fitness program featuring movements inspired by various styles of Latin American dance.
- Healthy Meals 101 (10:00 a.m.- 11:00 a.m.): free, weekly, family healthy eating recipes and plans.
Measures will be taken for appropriate physical distancing for the safety of participants.
A pre-launch of the program will take place for the next two Saturdays, May 23 and May 30. For more information, visit http://www.cctexas.com/safefunfit.
Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request and in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. For assistance or to request a reasonable accommodation, please call 361-826-3460, in advance.
For more information, media representatives can contact Lisa Oliver, Community Relations & Engagement Superintendent, at 361-826-3132 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.