Free Community Health & Wellness Program “Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront” Begins June 6
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX –A new health and wellness initiative called “Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront” geared at increasing physical activity and promote a healthier Corpus Christi begins this Saturday, June 6, 2020. Many people enjoy exercising along the shoreline including biking, walking, jogging or running and now they can do so in a safe environment – a designated 1.25-mile fitness lane from Cole Park to Lawrence Street! The public is invited to use the fitness lane on every Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., starting Saturday, June 6 – August 29, 2020. The fitness lane will help to reduce the overcrowding of the sidewalks and enable social distancing of at least six feet while exercising.
An expanded fitness lane has been created along Ocean Drive to Shoreline Boulevard that will temporarily close north bound traffic from 6 a.m. – 12 p.m. for residents to bike, run, jog and walk along the bayfront from Cole Park to Art Center of Corpus Christi.
In coordination with Victor Betancourt of VFit Productions and the City’s Park and Recreation Department, the City will offer “Safe Fun-Fit at the Bayfront” exercise and wellness events for ages 8 and older, of all abilities, on Saturdays from 7 a.m. – 11 a.m. from June 6 – August 29, 2020 at The Water’s Edge, 602 S. Shoreline Blvd. Check-In and Fitness Moves session will be held at McCaughan Park. Zumba and Yoga will be held at the Islanders Pavilion next to the playground. Participants also eligible to receive give-away rewards.
The 40-60-minute sessions will include:
- Walk to Run (7 a.m.-7:40 a.m.)*: teaching individuals the skills needed to increase their endurance through proper running and walking techniques.
- Fitness Moves (8 a.m.- 8:40 a.m.)*: fitness training through a variety of techniques including body weight training, conditioning and circuit training.
- Walk the Bayfront (9 a.m. – 10 a.m.)*: instructor led 2-mile walk along the fitness lane.
- Yoga (9:00 a.m. – 9:40 a.m.)*: guiding individuals through a series of poses to improve physical and mental strength.
- Zumba (10 a.m. – 10:40 a.m.)*: an aerobic fitness program featuring movements inspired by various styles of Latin American dance.
* Healthy Meals 101 (offered after each class): free weekly recipes and plans for families on healthy eating.
Class sessions are limited to 30 participants per class. The public can register for classes in June through the online registration link www.cctexas.com/safefunfit
Measures will also be taken for appropriate physical distancing for the safety of participant. In addition, participants are encouraged to bring their own face coverings, yoga mat and water, as appropriate, for their workout. Food Trucks with healthy options will be available at The Water’s Edge.
“Corpus Christi has a naturally beautiful backdrop for outdoor exercising,” said Peter Zanoni, City Manager. “This program will provide a safe opportunity for families to run, walk, bike, and take select classes to improve their health and wellness,” added Zanoni.
Reasonable accommodations are provided upon request and in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. For assistance or to request a reasonable accommodation, please call 361-826-3460, in advance.
For more information, media representatives can contact Lisa Oliver, Community Relations & Engagement Superintendent, at 361-826-3132 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.